Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I am autisum!!!

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

For years I've struggled with the knowledge that somethings just aren't as they should be with my son. I gained a victory today by getting him diagnosed as autistic. I've endured countless efortless visits with all sorts of doctors to do so. I believe that knowing is the first step to gaining the proper help from medical resources,educational systems,and the over all public at large.I love my child and plan to go as far I can to assure he gets every opportunity as anyboby else would.Normalcy is a goal I plan to get as much of as possible. today is the first day to many more days to come.I'm in this to win this,by all cost.My son is depending on it!!

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM
4 moms liked this

That's great - but Just one thing I want to say as an autistic person - let him be true to his nature in the privacy of your own home. Don't try to force him to stop being autistic at home, let him stim and be himself. those things are integral for most autistic people, if you try to make him look normal in the one safe place (home) - you can redirect certain behaviors but make sure he can be himself and that you don't try to "erase" autism - otherwise, you may have worse issues with depression, anxiety, and self hatred if you dislike the autistic part of him.

It is a part of him. And, some of the things are integral. you can fake social interactions, but no matter how much you learn to fake it, it's still a challenge even if it looks like it gets easier over time. Being able to stim and not have to hide behind a mask of "normal" at home really helps reduce the anxiety/stress of faking it in public.

Balance.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

TheCrooners
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, the road ahead is definitely not going to be normal momma. Your kid is unique, even among other autistic children. He is going to have his own personal set of sensory issues you will have to learn to accommodate and help him adapt to. But it's definitely not going to be normal. It's a new normal and one that you'll enjoy more if you embrace your son in all his ways. I can feel the love and conviction you have for your son, hold firm to that. That's the most important thing your son will need in life. Looking forward to hearing more about your son, welcome to the group!
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jul. 26, 2012 at 7:24 AM

((hugs))

greenmommo
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi & Welcome! You're right-the diagnosis is the key. We all want our kids to thrive. But being normal? Yuck! Who wants to be normal? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Welcome to the group!

ToyToy82
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I always let my son be exactly who he is...I'm not ashamed of his autism...I allow him to be the active ball of energy that he is...I take him out as much as possible because he is an only child and being out and about among others is a key part of learning and growing for him...as for us all! every other weekend I take him the Jump Zone...He really enjoys it! They can run and play and jump in moon bounces from sun up to sun down for the low fee of 8 bucks...works out for him and works out for my pocket book...they have to live in a world full of rules...full of other ppl! When I say normalcy...I only pertain to those elements of life...therefore teaching him to deal with ppl and rules no matter how hard is something I'll never give up on...I do as much research as possible and twice as much teaching! I believe in my child and I want him to the best him he can be

magickbaby
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM
((Hugs)) great attitude ! Keep it up !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Welcome!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM
That's a great attitude! :-)

Quoting ToyToy82:

Thanks! I always let my son be exactly who he is...I'm not ashamed of his autism...I allow him to be the active ball of energy that he is...I take him out as much as possible because he is an only child and being out and about among others is a key part of learning and growing for him...as for us all! every other weekend I take him the Jump Zone...He really enjoys it! They can run and play and jump in moon bounces from sun up to sun down for the low fee of 8 bucks...works out for him and works out for my pocket book...they have to live in a world full of rules...full of other ppl! When I say normalcy...I only pertain to those elements of life...therefore teaching him to deal with ppl and rules no matter how hard is something I'll never give up on...I do as much research as possible and twice as much teaching! I believe in my child and I want him to the best him he can be

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN