Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

communication devices? Do you use one?...

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son's speech therapist felt that he would do better w/a communicaton device "dynovox" - we have it now but he is still training on it (as are we) just wondering if anyone else out there is using one and their thoughts...

Thanks!

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:27 AM

my son is using e GoTalk which is basically PECs he clicks what he wants to say.  i like it but i just have to remember to use it, thats a big part of it LOL

greenmommo
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Bump for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nebraskaoma
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yes - We use an "Alt-Chat" in addition to basic sign language and Miss V's limited vocalizations. We are very fortunate that our school district provides the device to us. Our insurance would have probably approved the purchase, but our cost-share would have been 20% (about $700). When at home, we keep V's device on the cabinet near the charger. She goes to the device to use it. We also use the device as a study tool - she knows all of her colors now, but that is one example. With the directive "show me blue" she would touch the blue circle. Her device is programmed with lots of things - food, friends, teachers, places to go, things to do, personal information. From the home page, we practice using the box by directing her to find certain information. She is pretty good at it!! We do not always take it everywhere with us, but it goes everyday to school for all activities and to her private therapy sessions and other doctors' appointments.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM

i'm looking into it :)

JonahsMom914
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM

How old is your daughter? My son will be 3 in sept.

kerimb
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

My youngest son used one and did really good on it.  He got to the point where he won't use it any more but it really made a big difference in his life.  So, if anyone is interested I am Selling a Dynavox V for $4000 but I will work with you on the price if you really want it!

repetition
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I've thought of looking into some type of device. My 3 yr old ds is non-verbal. He does a couple of signs. Would it be better to get an I-pad? It seems like you could get the app with PECS and when the child outgrows it, there's a lot more you can do with the device. What are the advantages to these?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN