Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What?! Is this how we have become as a country?!

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
  • 139 Replies
5 moms liked this

Dear Friend,

You've probably seen the name of a popular fast-food restaurant, Chick-fil-A, in the news quite a bit recently—but unfortunately, it's not because of the quality of their food or service (which are both excellent).

It's because Chick-fil-A's COO, Dan Cathy, was asked in a recent radio interview how he feels about same-sex marriage, and he gave an honest answer, based on his Christian faith and what the Bible says about homosexuality.

Watch this week's CitizenLink Report, in which my colleague Stuart Shepard and I discuss this issue.  

Now, the Left is calling for a nationwide boycott of the chain. A-list actors have vowed never to eat there again, and Boston's mayor has said he'll do all he can to keep Chick-fil-A franchises from opening in his city. And the Jim Henson Company, which was working on a promotional campaign with Chick-fil-A, ended the partnership last week, with CEO Lisa Henson ordering Chick-fil-A's payment to be donated to a gay-activist organization instead.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee posted an invitation for people to show support for Chick-fil-A on Aug. 1—one which was shared by nearly a million people in the course of 24 hours this week. Tuesday, Facebook® took the invitation down without explanation. Fortunately, it was restored later that night, with Facebook® telling CitizenLink it had made "an error."

Chick-fil-A has always operated with biblical values. Franchises from coast to coast are closed on Sunday in order to observe the Sabbath and allow employees to attend church, if they wish. The company's charitable foundation has given $2 million to pro-family organizations, including Focus on the Family. That's made a lot of headlines, too, especially in the blogosphere.

The point is, we no longer seem to live in a country where people can agree to disagree over same-sex marriage and let the dominant viewpoint prevail at the polls. Instead, those who seek to radically redefine the family too often take a scorched-earth policy to everyone who holds biblical values, and seek to silence them in any way possible.

Please join me in praying that God will restore a level of civil discourse to our nation—and thanking Him for courageous people who will stand up for their beliefs, no matter what the cost. I hope that each of us is able to display the kind of integrity the Cathy family has through this debate.

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenmommo
13 moms liked this
I believe that gay marriage is pro-family. I believe that people are born gay and I'm not one to question how God makes people, nor am I for prohibiting basic rights based on religion.

So no, I will not be joining you or Chick-Fil-A.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twins0506
by Holly on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
5 moms liked this
I just want to say as an MOD this post will be very closely watched. I know everyone has such strong views on this topic and to some they take it very personal. Everyone please be nice and considerate to both the op and to other posters replies. Thank you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
7 moms liked this
Why are people so concerned with what goes on in another couple's bedroom. Think of how many gay teens take their own lives because of people's outspoken religious views. This is no different than someone being racist. There are laws protecting those discriminated. Respect others lifestyles. Didn't God also say not to judge others lest you be judged yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HFBMOM
by Julie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I think people are standing up for their beliefs, and that "the Left is calling for a nationwide boycott of the chain. A-list actors have vowed never to eat there again, and Boston's mayor has said he'll do all he can to keep Chick-fil-A franchises from opening in his city. And the Jim Henson Company, which was working on a promotional campaign with Chick-fil-A, ended the partnership last week, with CEO Lisa Henson ordering Chick-fil-A's payment to be donated to a gay-activist organization instead." is something you disagree with, you are saying that "we no longer seem to live in a country where people can agree to disagree over same-sex marriage and let the dominant viewpoint prevail at the polls. Instead, those who seek to radically redefine the family too often take a scorched-earth policy to everyone who holds biblical values, and seek to silence them in any way possible."

It seems to me that many people are being courageous and standing up for their beliefs. They just don't happen to align with the Cathy family's and therefore, you are calling their tactics "a scorched earth policy". 

I agree 100% with Greenmommo, and if I had a clue where there was a Chick-Fil-A near me, I wouldn't be supporting them on this issue.

TheCrooners
3 moms liked this
I, too, think we will have to agree to disagree on this. I disagree with allowing the dominant viewpoint to prevail. If we allowed that where would we be as a nation now? I think this minority group needs to speak loudly and try to educate the majority and hopefully change hearts and minds. As an Autism advocate I believe we have to speak up to be heard over the majority and I feel no differently regarding our homosexual brothers and sisters.

I do want to say that I respect those with a religious conviction. I am a person of faith and I find religious doctrine to sometimes be at war with what I feel God has truly called us to.
greenmommo
I totally believe he is entitled to his opinion. I just won't support him or his restaurant now. As a business man, he realizes his actions have an effect on his business. I believe in inclusion, not alienation.

I know my church has issues with this as well, and I like what my pastor said about it when pushed to take an anti-gay stand, "Mind your house, mind your marriage. Time taken worrying about someone else's is time taken away from your own." (that's not directed at you-that's just what he said)

Quoting justfiveofus:

Personally, I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's simply an opinion.  He is just as entitled to his opinion as the next guy (regardless if I agree or disagree with it).  I mean, it's not like the company is asking people their sexual preference before they serve people. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
3 moms liked this

I am trying to understand whether this has something to do with autism that I have missed? It seems unnecessarily divisive and political for this forum, but maybe I am missing something. 

I am not a fan of denying other people rights we enjoy ourselves (like marriage) just because we happen to be in a dominant group.  I won't be eating at CFA.  

I will also have to agree to disagree with the opinions expressed in the OP.   

twins0506
by Holly on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
4 moms liked this
Hmmm seems like im the only one thats still going to eat there. Their food is extremely good and im not going to let their opinion stop me from eating there. Its not like they were bashing they gays, they were just expressing their opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Were all entitled to freedom of speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3mx2mom
3 moms liked this

AMEN SISTER! Let the gays marry, and let the Chik-Fil-A sandwiches and nuggets keep coming! I'm surely not going to stop eating there because of one person's feelings on a topic. Radical reactions to one person's feelings on a topic are what is killing this country. He didn't say gays were not welcome in his restaurant. He was pushed to give his feelings on the issue of gay marriage so he gave them. That being said, here's my view on this topic. I believe what I believe. You believe what you believe. I'll eat where I want to eat. You eat where you want to eat. I'll shop where I want to shop, and you shop where you want to shop.

Quoting twins0506:

Hmmm seems like im the only one thats still going to eat there. Their food is extremely good and im not going to let their opinion stop me from eating there. Its not like they were bashing they gays, they were just expressing their opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Were all entitled to freedom of speech.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

well, i am Christian, but I don't agree with the Christian Right

anyways, i will say, that I am also a believer in free speech and I have no problem with Chick-fil-A owner telling his own personal views or giving money to whoever that private company wants to give money too -- as long as its not REALLY bad organizations. I'll leave that up to the US gov't to decide.

Just like I LOVE kaboobs and will continue to eat kaboobs even though I'm not a muslim. I'm sure their owners give charity to mosques.

i am there for the food baby. Good religious chicken is still good chicken! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)