Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Bridgewater karate program works its ‘magic’ on kids with autism spectrum disorders via WickedLocal

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM
  • 4 Replies

Bridgewater karate program works its ‘magic’ on kids with autism spectrum disorders

phoBIkarate10_0711am
Wicked Local Staff Photo by Ashley McCabe

Cameron Cassidy, 8, practices his karate form with Sensei John Hatfield during the Kid's Action Initiative Martial Arts Class at Bridgewater Martial Arts. Kid's Action Initiative, "KAI", is a non-profit organization providing children with autism and Aspergers an alternative therapy experience through martial arts.

phoBIkarate10_0711am
phoBIkarate06_0711am
phoBIkarate04_0711am
phoBIkarate07_0711am
phoBIkarate05_0711am
phoBIkarate02_0711am
phoBIkarate03_0711am
phoBIkarate12_0711am
phoBIkarate11_0711am
phoBIkarate08_0711am

By Rebecca Hyman
Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 01:03 PM

When his close friend and black belt karate student Ricky Duarte took his own life in 2008, Bridgewater Martial Arts owner John Hatfield was in the planning stages of making Duarte’s dream of a karate program for autistic children a reality.

Duarte’s son Alex, who was 8 at the time of his dad’s death and has autism, is now one of Hatfield’s students.

“I thought this would be a good fit, but now I’m 100 percent convinced,” Hatfield said.

Hatfield, who has been studying karate since he was 9 years old nearly four decades ago, said he’s seen firsthand the power of martial arts to transform lives.

“There’s something magical about martial arts,” he said.

“Anyone who comes into a martial arts program leaves a better person, less angry, a better learner, more patient, a better worker,” he said.

Whatever that magic is, it is particularly potent when it comes to children on the autism spectrum, who typically struggle in social settings, such as group sports.

“In martial arts, they have to interact with each other socially but their progress is individually measured,” Hatfield said.

Hatfield has teamed up with childhood friend Maureen Hancock, a well-known psychic medium from Bridgewater, who has been working with children with autism for years.

In June, the two launched the non-profit Kids Action Initiative (KAI) to provide martial arts therapy to kids on the autism spectrum. They held a fundraiser in June at Port 305 in Quincy to help parents send their children to the program.

The classes are held Thursdays at 5 p.m. and Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. at the studio at 27 Perkins St., Bridgewater.

Kristina Lutz, whose son Gunner, 8, has Asperger’s Syndrome, said he has trouble making eye contact and tends to fixate on things. He can memorize an entire book and repeat it, but he doesn’t necessarily connect with the underlying story.

Gunner, a strapping young man with a shock of strawberry blond hair, shines in the KAI karate class and has become a role model for younger, newer students.

Lutz, of Brockton, said her son looks forward to the classes and she uses them as a “catalyst for good behavior.”

“We’ve tried team sports, but it doesn’t work. If someone takes the ball away, he’ll storm off. Martial arts is not competitive against another team. You compete against yourself,” she said.

(continued in link)

Read more: Bridgewater karate program works its ‘magic’ on kids with autism spectrum disorders - Bridgewater, MA - Bridgewater Independent http://www.wickedlocal.com/bridgewater/news/x1519319457/Bridgewater-karate-program-works-its-magic-on-kids-with-autism-spectrum-disorders#ixzz21vqC3y4O
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Kittie26
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Cool! My sister used to live in Bridgewater! She just moved to RI a few months ago.

mallowcup17
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM

o nice! bridgewater is about an hour or so from me...and I have lots of family in RI :)

Quoting Kittie26:

Cool! My sister used to live in Bridgewater! She just moved to RI a few months ago.

greenmommo
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM
That's cool. My SD is Tae Kwando 2nd degree blackbelt recommended. I've thought about putting Nicole in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mopsmommy5
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Wish Utah had one, and one I could afford for both kids!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)