Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

how do i stop my 2 year old from hurting himself? or hitting others, like me?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
  • 6 Replies

he bangs his head against a solid wood head bored. he throws himself back, i try to catch his head so he won't get hurt. he is starting to hit me and my daughter now. how do i stop this before it get's worse? he is scheduled for occupational therapy on the 16th. hopefully that will help...

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Welcome!

Definitely talk to the OT about what's going on and see if you can get some ideas to help him.  

xavier929
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM
How old is he? Will they be coming to make weekly visits to your home? Both my boys have autism and my youngest was the same way. Always flopping back banging his head on walls. But all that stopped when we had in home help for him
amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Welcome!  I hope the therapy helps.

Mewlan
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Do you think he is frustrated about something?  Has anything changed in your home (rooms, number of people, schedules, starting daycare?)?  I know my son at that age got really really frustrated with not being able to talk...to tell me what he wanted.  I sure which I had known about the PEC boardmaker visual picture thing back then.  Also, has he been checked for seizures?  Maybe something is going on in his head that hurts that he doesn't know what to do with?

CHOCBEAR1123
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM

FOR SOME REASON IF YOU TELL THESE CHILDREN I WILL GET THE TIMER WHEN THERE HITTING THEY SEEM TO STOP??? BUT MY SONS HITTING HAS BEEN CUT DOWN ALOT HE IS MORE WILLING TO THINK EVEN THOUGH HE MAY THINK TOO HIT I REMIND HIM OF THE TIMER OR THAT WERE NOT GOING TO PLAY TOGETHER I JUST KEEP BEING REPETATIVE HOPE FULLY THIS HELPS

Shardep
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Hes 2 enjoy! No but really a lot has to do with the ages! My 2 yr old would kick hit punch bite pinch...ya you get the point and hes typically developing. And 3 is not any better! But An OT will help with the head banging. Maybe you could tell v him it hurts your feelings when he does it, children do not like to disappoint their parents!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)