Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

why do you think more boys are on the autism spectrum vs girls?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM
  • 15 Replies
I was just thinking about this because this is the third yr my boys are in school and last yr one girl was in the class. Her and my son were very close they had a little crush going on. Know he's at a new school there is 9 boys and no girls. Awww my little guy is missing his crush and I feel bad maybe he will meet a nice girl on the playground LOL
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM
2 moms liked this
It has to do with chromosomes is what the most recent studies show. The issue is a messed up x chromosome. Boys only have one x. Girls have two. So if one is messed up they have a back up. Boys have no back up.
twins0506
by Holly on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:01 AM
interesting! I always wondered this too. there's only 2 girls in the boys class this year.

Quoting trippyhippy:

It has to do with chromosomes is what the most recent studies show. The issue is a messed up x chromosome. Boys only have one x. Girls have two. So if one is messed up they have a back up. Boys have no back up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aspiemom0203
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Wow I didn't know. Or at least it didn't register that way. Thanks!

You ladies always help me find another piece to the puzzle everyday!

Quoting trippyhippy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
badgermom2012
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think there are more boys than girls on the spectrum.  I think (and so do a lot of other people--some in the medical community!) that girls are often misdiagnosed with anxiety disorders.  

badgermom2012
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I haven't seen any studies to this effect.  Do you have a link you can post?  I know this is the case with Fragile X Syndrome, but hadn't heard that about autism.  

Quoting trippyhippy:

trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Quoting badgermom2012:

On my iPad so I will have to find a link later when I gut home.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally agree! Lots of girls misdiagnosed with adhd, anxiety, mood disorders, borderline personality disorder, and bipolar. Or passed off as shy. I probably have two girls on the spectrum.

Quoting badgermom2012:

I don't think there are more boys than girls on the spectrum.  I think (and so do a lot of other people--some in the medical community!) that girls are often misdiagnosed with anxiety disorders.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM
I think it looks different in girls than boys. Girls are naturally more social creatures anyways so they try to blend in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liansmommie
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting trippyhippy:

Hubs and I were just talking about this. It is also the reason why miscarriages are overwhelmingly male.

alissaplusthree
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea why...but I am aware that females experience better recovery than males after a stroke, and it has to do with females using more of their brain for every thought process.

I wonder if there is any correlation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)