Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hair brushing, grooming in general... help...

Posted by   + Show Post

dx so far is PDD NOS... She also thinks he has some sensory issues that are worth looking at too. 

I never thought I would need help with any of it, but we dont start OT for a couple few more weeks and I am at my wits end...

DS, 3 1/2, will not let me brush his hair, cut his nails, bathe him, and the ultimate issue is getting his hair cut. 

We slog through bathtime every other day to make it easier on him (and me)... cut his nails once a week (if that, mostly whenever I notice he can pick his skin/scabs again)  and I take three or four days once every few months to get his hair a little at a time (just out of his face and off his shoulders) but it is still long enough to need brushing a couple times a day without looking like a ragamuffin (Id hold him down and buzz it all but don't feel like traumatizing him, we tried that when he was one and a half and he still wont go near a pair of clippers)

Which brings me to my question,  

Is there any one hairbrush that kids with these issues prefer? When I say he doesnt want his hair brushed, I mean that we go into full on meltdown whenever he even thinks Im going to brush his hair.

How can I make grooming easier on him... like I said, we start OT soon, but in the meantime I could use some suggestions because what Im doing is not working

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-13):
marisab
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 6:12 AM

not really that  i have found thats ain issue i fihght johny on also but it is a lil easierwith the goody no tangle brush i have;-)

RockinMama0608
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM

When my son was younger, he struggled with basic hygiene too.  Even at age 6 he has trouble with some things. 

We started cutting his hair at home when he was 2.5 years old.  DH and I take it slow so he can adjust and calm down.  One way that helps him is giving him a toy and putting him in front of the tv.  He has gotten much better about it since then, but every once in a while he gets upset while cutting his hair. 

We cut his hair short (not buzzed) so we only need to use a comb to brush his hair.  At first he strongly disliked it but now he will let me brush his hair without fighting me.  He cannot stand the kind with bristles.

My son loves bathtime and water, so we don't have too many problems with that.  Have you tried fun bath activities or toys to make him more comfortable in the water?  Both of my kids love the tabs that change the color of the water. 

For my son, it took a couple of years for him to finally adjust to getting his hair cut and letting me groom him without a fight.  Even now, he has some sensory issues with grooming but he tolerates it better.  I hope that you are getting some helpful information to help you with your son.  ((Hugs))  Hang in there mama!

MommyRJ
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM
We have issues with the hair and the finger nails too

But I'm mean and every 3 months we buzz his head. I'm pretty quick and DH holds him an we give him a sucker and I just do it. I'd rather evoke a meltdown over the buzzer once every couple months then everyday because he won let me brush it either
I don't have much advice otherwise tho :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)