Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What would you do if you were in my case?

Posted by   + Show Post

I need some advice. Sorry if this is too long.

I have a 3 year old daughter who was diagnosed autistic last year. She's doing a lot better now. She's interacting with other kids, knows a lot of words and she's starting to use them to communicate, but still won't  answer questions. She follows some directions. And I haven't been able to potty train her yet.

Last April we moved form AZ to TX. I've been trying to get services (therapies) for her, but the system is soooooo slow. Besides, my husband "fortunately" did very good last year in the stock market, but this year he lost all of that and more. Because of this, I haven't been able to find anybody who would give her services for free or for a decent rate, unless I can prove that loss, but I have to wait until next year to prove it.

So, the only way right now for us to get services for her for free is taking her to preschool. But how can I send her to a place we've never been to, with people we don't know, we think we can trust, but we're not sure, and leave her there alone? If we were able to communicate with her and explain her what's going on and she can tell us what she thinks about that, if she likes it or not, if she likes the people, if she's treated good by teachers and other kids, I wouldn't doubt about it. But she's not there yet. Plus, she's not potty trained and I'm very careful about who changes her diaper.

I understand everybody who works there are used to and trained to deal with autistic kids. But she is our daughter. I'm waiting for the teacher to call me to see if I can stay there for a while, until she feels comfortable and then leave her, or if I can send her only for a little time at first and increase the time little by little.

What would you do if you were in my case?

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Replies (31-40):
VeroKarr
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Really? The only agency I've been able to talk to (the other won't even answer my call or call me back!!!) wants to charge $830 per month, because of my husband doing so good last year. I have the meeting tomorrow with the school and I'm going to ask them about that. Thank you so much for this info! :)

Quoting arkansasmama08:

You shouldn't have to put her in school for therapy at 3. You should be able to get services until she's kindergarten age, at the very least. Call the birth to 3 program in your state and talk to them.

Shelley927
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VeroKarr:

That's the first question on my list. I they say no, then I'll ask if I can just bring her to Speech Therapy (30 min) and then leave. We'll see.

Quoting Shelley927:

You can ask to volunteer at the pre school and this way you can help out with her and take some of the load off the teacher......

Go to the school board and ask if you can be a volunteer or get paid as a para.......Bring up to them that teachers are taught to teach  "normal" children they are not taught to teach children with disabilities unless that is their specialty in college.....Explain to them that this could help reduce the liabilities that could affect the school....Tell them this is to protect her and the school.....make it clear that if they can not accommadate you then you will go above their heads to get some results and that means the state board of education or the newspapers....

arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Here we go thru the education co-op. they promise services free of charge until kindergarten. They even reimburse us for our gas to ot since its a 70 mile round trip.

Quoting VeroKarr:

Really? The only agency I've been able to talk to (the other won't even answer my call or call me back!!!) wants to charge $830 per month, because of my husband doing so good last year. I have the meeting tomorrow with the school and I'm going to ask them about that. Thank you so much for this info! :)

Quoting arkansasmama08:

You shouldn't have to put her in school for therapy at 3. You should be able to get services until she's kindergarten age, at the very least. Call the birth to 3 program in your state and talk to them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeroKarr
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Went to the school today, they answered all my questions and the teacher was really cool with letting me stay as long as I want and try little by little until my daughter and I feel comfortable. Even the Principal begged me to consider doing this for my girl. Classes start on Monday. We'll see how that goes. I told them I can help during the class and the teacher said it was fine with her. Thank you so much again! :)

Quoting Shelley927:

Quoting VeroKarr:

That's the first question on my list. I they say no, then I'll ask if I can just bring her to Speech Therapy (30 min) and then leave. We'll see.

Quoting Shelley927:

You can ask to volunteer at the pre school and this way you can help out with her and take some of the load off the teacher......

Go to the school board and ask if you can be a volunteer or get paid as a para.......Bring up to them that teachers are taught to teach  "normal" children they are not taught to teach children with disabilities unless that is their specialty in college.....Explain to them that this could help reduce the liabilities that could affect the school....Tell them this is to protect her and the school.....make it clear that if they can not accommadate you then you will go above their heads to get some results and that means the state board of education or the newspapers....

VeroKarr
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Wow! That's so interesting. I'm going to look into that. Thanks so much!!!

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Here we go thru the education co-op. they promise services free of charge until kindergarten. They even reimburse us for our gas to ot since its a 70 mile round trip.

Quoting VeroKarr:

Quoting arkansasmama08:

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I would put her in school for therapies 

VeroKarr
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I'm doing so far. She starts on Monday and I'm going to try for 1 month and see what happens. So far they said I can stay, at least until she feels comfortable. Thanks!

Quoting aidensmomma508:

I would put her in school for therapies 

007Sunshine
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Is early intervention available for such children in your area? It has been in the states we have lived in. There are free services for these children all over. They are trained to take care of kids with various diagnosis and know how to help.  Look into it.

panda425
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My now almost 8 yrs old son was diagnosed at 20 months old. We live in NC and at the time we qualified for ssi and Medicaid. Medicaid covered his therapies until age three and that is when the school district takes over. He was in a preschool setting 5 days a week. Full days. He did fantastic in the school setting. He did scream bloody murder when I would drop him off. But settled down with in a few mins. They were awesome with him. I am lucky to have a great school district. I was welcome to come by unannounced and stay as long as I pleased. We had daily communication sheets informing me on what kind of day he had, how much and what he ate. He didn't potty train until he was 6. They even were willing to use my cloth diapers.
VeroKarr
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

They have ECI, but my daughter is already 3. ECI is for children under 3, at least here in TX and in AZ. And in AZ it wasn't free. :(

Quoting 007Sunshine:

Is early intervention available for such children in your area? It has been in the states we have lived in. There are free services for these children all over. They are trained to take care of kids with various diagnosis and know how to help.  Look into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)