Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it an autism spectrum disorder? *UPDATE on PAGE 2*

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM
  • 48 Replies

My developmental pediatrician said something to be that, honestly, I'm not sure about...

My official stance right now is that I disagree with his hunch... (though I agree with this dx)

Okay, so he was evaluated by the developmental pediatrician and although he diagnosed him with PDD-NOS/ADHD because he meet enough of the criteria, his hunch is that its severe ADHD and not an ASD

He said this because he was able to pretend play, feeding the doll, putting the doll to sleep, feeding the characters pretend air pretzels...

I know that I have read that ASD is not eliminated by anyone characteristic, rather it is diagnosed by the presence (number and persistence) of autistic symptoms/traits...

What do you guys think?

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TristansMom440
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I'm confused, lol.  But seriously...I thought that PDD-NOS was part of the spectrum?  That it is a dx for someone on the spectrum that might not meet all the stuff on checklist or whatever.  At least that's what I thought.  I could be wrong...maybe someone else can answer this better for you.  Sorry I am no help.

3mx2mom
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Please don't be offended by this question. I'm just curious why you seem to be perseverating on this?

TristansMom440
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM

What I meant is...it's still a diagnosis of being on the autism spectrum....he is just not being dx'd w/ "classic" autism, if you kwim.

arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM
There's a difference between knowing how to do something and able to do it when asked, and initiating it and doing it on their own.
As for ADHD, there are similarities in some of that and asd. Does he have any if the classic signs? Stacking, lining things up, spinning, rocking, eyc?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I think if you feel in your gut that this is autism and not ADHD, then I would get another opinion. Maybe not immediately since you do have a PDD NOS diagnosis which should warrant some therapy.

My son has a PDD NOS diagnosis also, and he does a fair amount of imaginary play now (though when he was evaluated he did not). I think doctors often become fixated on pretend play, but the bigger issue really is a problem with executive functions which include planning, predicting. Organizing, etc. Many children on the spectrum can engage in pretend play either on their own or by modeling, but most will still show impairments in their abilities to guess what a other person might do, seeing consequences of their actions in advance, or planning how to do something that involves multiple steps. Impairment in executive function also appears with ADHD, so it's hard to say which is which from this alone.

I like some of the things Lorna Wing has to say about executive function and higher functioning forms of autism, Take a look at The Autism Spectrum: A Guide for Parents and Professionals if you can find it. it's an old book, but by far one of the more helpful ones I have read so far.
greenmommo
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Nicole could do those things, quietly to herself, talking under her breathe for large amounts of time. She created her own little worlds and she didn't let anyone in. And she definitely has Aspergers. She can pretend play in ways that mimic simple actions but could never come up with something from your instructions or play someone else's game.

I think your dr is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
badgermom2012
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I agree.  I'm not trying to be offensive or insult you.  I understand you want to do everything you can for your son.  I'm not a doctor and I've never met your son, but in my honest opinion, from the way you describe him it's sounds more like ADHD.  

Quoting 3mx2mom:

Please don't be offended by this question. I'm just curious why you seem to be perseverating on this?

greenmommo
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM
4 moms liked this
Because a mom has a right to question doctors. They are not ways right, as many more mothers on here can tell you. She's concerned and trying to do the right thing for her son. Many doctors are confused about ADHD & ASD and many articles have been written about it.

It wasn't me making this post, but I am offended for her. This is how I read your reply "shut up already." how else can it be taken?

This is a support group, so if she wants to dwell on the diagnosis of her son, I believe this is the appropriate place for that to happen.

Quoting 3mx2mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smarieljlee
by Sara on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting greenmommo:

Thank you. I wanted to say te same
arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Me too.
I vent a lot here because I'm allowed to. If somebody needs to vent, ask questions, or question their dr, they should be allowed here.

Quoting smarieljlee:

Quoting greenmommo:

Thank you. I wanted to say te same

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)