Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Service Dogs

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have been doing some research on service dogs for Autistic kids. Im really interested. My question is has anyone ever got one? Did it help? Who did you use?. My ds is 4 yrs old. Would really like some imput on this. Thanks
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blue231
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Someone in our community got one. I don't know a lot of details, but my MIL got to talk to this child's Mother. They got theirs through a therapy service dog program. They raised money within the community so the family could afford it. Their child had a problem running away. Now she is tethered to the therapy dog to keep her from running away when they are out and about. I guess it is working out well for them. I have heard some dog trainers are getting certified to teach therapy dogs. You might contact a dog trainer or vet to hear of people in your community that have therapy dogs available. Hope it goes well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockinMama0608

We have considered getting a service dog but do not have one.  Good luck!

TheCrooners

BUMP!

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I've had a service dog.

I'm currently training my mastiff puppy to be an autism service dog for myself.

What would you like to know?

kajira
2 moms liked this

Just to be specific, therapy dogs and service dogs are not the same thing.

So if there's bans on breeds, or restrictions on having a dog in your area, home, or on your homeowners insurance, a therapy dog isn't a valid dog.

It specifically *has* to be a service dog, and you have to have a doctors note.

before we knew I was autistic, my rottweiler was listed as a PTSD service dog. I'd trained him to carry books, go to college with me, and intentionally put space between me and other people so they wouldn't touch me.

When we got my bulldog, and suspected autism, we started training him for sensory related things. - He passed away, but our mastiff puppy was got with the intention of her being an autism service dog for our family.

Size matters to me, part of the purpose of the dog is to keep people from touching me, or getting near me. I don't like people that aren't family in my bubble. I also have problems with wandering and getting lost and forgetting what I'm doing.

one of the other dogs I trained for this, would poke me when I was driving to keep me focused on the road and would help me find my phone and keys.

Quoting Blue231:

Someone in our community got one. I don't know a lot of details, but my MIL got to talk to this child's Mother. They got theirs through a therapy service dog program. They raised money within the community so the family could afford it. Their child had a problem running away. Now she is tethered to the therapy dog to keep her from running away when they are out and about. I guess it is working out well for them. I have heard some dog trainers are getting certified to teach therapy dogs. You might contact a dog trainer or vet to hear of people in your community that have therapy dogs available. Hope it goes well.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

TristansMom440

Where do you live?  I actually know a lady that trains therapy dogs for children w/ASD.  She might at least know someone or be able to recommend someone in your area that has the service dogs.

Reina67
by Lisa on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Thanks for tbe great information. If i have more questions can i message u?
Reina67
by Lisa on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I live in Bakersfield, CA
kajira

please feel free, I have *lots* of resources.

Quoting Reina67:

Thanks for tbe great information. If i have more questions can i message u?

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Quoting Reina67:

I live in Bakersfield, CA

Look up this breeder: http://www.lundborg-land.com/
She's in riverside county. I bought a german shepard from her about 6 months ago. She breeds for temperament and guaranteed that her dogs were great for autism families. She has had several families buy dogs from them for this particular reason. My son is VERY ROUGH(sensory seeker we assume) and she could care less. He has even pulled her tail and she ignores it. The dogs are a little pricey but SO worth it.
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN