Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is your child on a special diet?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:55 AM
  • 37 Replies
Ok I had only one person willing to reply to Need Help so I wanted to see if I just asked two questions instead of 10 if more of you would be willing to respond.

Did you put your child on a special diet?
Did the diet affect your child in a positive way?

Thanks for any help and if you changed your mind and are willing to go to Need Help and answer those questions it would be deeply appreciated.

Kathy
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RockinMama0608
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM

No, my son is not on any special diet.  I do know that some moms use/have tried the GFCF diet.   Hope you are able to get some answers!

jordiesmom05
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I cut sugar for his adhd. It worked some, but not enough. I buy some gluten-free foods, but if  it does not smell good to him, he is not eating it.

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM
No special diet for either of my sons.
TristansMom440
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

In the beginning I tried to do the GFCF diet.  It was expensive for us and my DS did not like it (except for the soy milk) and since he was already terribly picky, I went back to regular diet after about a month or so.  I do try to limit processed foods and sugar, but that's about it.  So I guess my answer is no, we are not on a special diet.  I saw the biggest change in our DS after starting him on ST and getting him socialized w/ other kids (we put him in a pre-school at age 3 right after dx)

JuliaWoods99
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM
No

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM
No
jeni1212
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM
We put our son on the gf/cf in January. We also started supplements too. We noticed a change in his behavior and so did everyone else thats around him. My son wasnt diagnosed until may. He has pdd-nos. I also think he has adhd as well and so does his teacher. He is 3 though around here they won't diagnose. Some changes I noticed were, he was able to focus more, still an issue but he has improved. His eye contact improved too I think his eye contact is just a good as any other child now. . He also stopped his high pitched screaming and he used to put his hands over hisi ears when he was mad. That stopped too. We can take him to a restaurant now which we haven't been able to do since he was 14 months old. Overall between supplements and diet change he is doing great. He gets some therapy in school and we just started some more on our own time too. Let me note all the changes were noticed before therapy started.
Blue231
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this
I deleted my reply to this post, because, Sheriff6, you revealed in your last post you are wanting to put this information in a book. I wrote my concern about this in my current response to your last post. Please take a look at that response before attempting to put our information in a book without our knowledge. If you are gathering documentation for a book, people need to be given information about who you are, what experience you have with Autism research, what your reasons are for writing a book and so on. Also it is appropriate for you to use replies for a book only with specific permission from those writing the replies. Some people may not mind, but we should have a right to be aware and make that decision. I am aware our answers on here go out to anyone, but I feel people who intend to use replies in professional material be professional enough to disclose that information.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NatureMomof3
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

GFCF make a huge difference. Our whole family does it. We also limit soy and sugar and do not eat any artificial preservatives (particularly BHT, BHA, and TBHQ), no artificial flavors, and no food dye or caramel coloring. We take supplements. My son has been fighting candida. He also is currently having PANDAS symptoms from strep. 

Other health improvements for family memebers from GFCF diet -- digestive improvement -- dad, little brother and big sis, anxiety -- big sis, candida -- big sis and little bro, arthritis -- mom (I'm off pain meds!).

Sheriff6
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Let me assure you that if and when I get around to the book it is only data that I am looking at not people's personal information. If I want to use someone's name of course I will do it in the proper way. I think as a grandma what I have been very frustrated at is the lack of common since tried interventions by people with children on the spectrum.

I want to help others who are starting on their journey with their precious children who do not know what to do who feel hopeless.

I hear over and over on this board families waiting on the diagnose to do anything. I know for us we did not wait for a doctor to tell us what to do because it was obvious our doctor did not know what to do either.

If you have a doctor that told you to reasearch diet, therapies, biomedical etc I am so glad you had that doctor. It seems like many are not like that and so I want to give practical advice based on results of those on this board and other famies I know.

There is already a lot of reasearch going on and so I want to be there now for anyone who needs and wants help, thats all!

Thanks for all the replies.

Quoting Blue231:

I deleted my reply to this post, because, Sheriff6, you revealed in your last post you are wanting to put this information in a book. I wrote my concern about this in my current response to your last post. Please take a look at that response before attempting to put our information in a book without our knowledge. If you are gathering documentation for a book, people need to be given information about who you are, what experience you have with Autism research, what your reasons are for writing a book and so on. Also it is appropriate for you to use replies for a book only with specific permission from those writing the replies. Some people may not mind, but we should have a right to be aware and make that decision. I am aware our answers on here go out to anyone, but I feel people who intend to use replies in professional material be professional enough to disclose that information.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN