Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Weighted Blankets

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
  • 4 Replies
Does anybody use them? Do they work? I'm thinking about making some for my kids. I would like a little advice before I start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I borrowed one from our OT. My dd loved it. I just made one for her a week ago. There is a formula to figure out how much it should weigh. I can't remember it though. I just made the same weight that the one we borrowed was, which was 4lbs. My dd is 2.5 and weighs 28-30lbs.
kajira
by Emma on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I will say this, fabric matters, so before you just weigh down *any* blanket, make sure it's a texture AND a weight they like.

I'm sooo picky about it. In the summer, I use a light sheet, I have to be covered, but it has to be just right and it can't be a slippery sheet, it has to be a light flannel or cotton sheet, and it can't have textures, it has to be smooth like a hanes tshirt.

Now, in the winter, I like footie  style pajamas where you can zip the feet off (I like the footie part when I'm not sleeping....), because I get too hot if my feet are covered, AND to stack on the blankets thick. I'd rather keep the room colder, just so I can do it. LOL

But, again, textures matter, along with the layers If it's too thick, or too heavy, I end up being uncomfortable.

And, it's not always the same each night. Some nights I want twice the blankets...

This is why I have a big dog. When my husbands at work, the big dog presses against my back and that makes up for it, I still prefer the dog over my husband but my husband likes to cuddle, so I tolerate it when he pushes the dog out of the way to hold on to me. :P

My son buries himself under mounds of stuffed animals and blankets too. We limit what he can do in the summer, because it gets too hot. but the blanket he has, is a heavy square baby blanket, that puts the weight on his chest, with out covering up the rest of his limbs.

HE always sleeps better in the winter. (so do I!)

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM
thankfully my dd doesn't seem to mind what fabric I used. the only thing she flipped about was it had to be Dora. I did sew ribbon tags along the top for her and she lives it. she can run her fingers through the tags while under her blanket. she only keeps it on until she falls asleep. once she's asleep she kicks it off. though if she leaves part of it on part of her she will sleep all night, but if it is completely off her she wakes up several times a night. I wish she'd leave it on.

Quoting kajira:

I will say this, fabric matters, so before you just weigh down *any* blanket, make sure it's a texture AND a weight they like.

I'm sooo picky about it. In the summer, I use a light sheet, I have to be covered, but it has to be just right and it can't be a slippery sheet, it has to be a light flannel or cotton sheet, and it can't have textures, it has to be smooth like a hanes tshirt.

Now, in the winter, I like footie  style pajamas where you can zip the feet off (I like the footie part when I'm not sleeping....), because I get too hot if my feet are covered, AND to stack on the blankets thick. I'd rather keep the room colder, just so I can do it. LOL

But, again, textures matter, along with the layers If it's too thick, or too heavy, I end up being uncomfortable.

And, it's not always the same each night. Some nights I want twice the blankets...

This is why I have a big dog. When my husbands at work, the big dog presses against my back and that makes up for it, I still prefer the dog over my husband but my husband likes to cuddle, so I tolerate it when he pushes the dog out of the way to hold on to me. :P

My son buries himself under mounds of stuffed animals and blankets too. We limit what he can do in the summer, because it gets too hot. but the blanket he has, is a heavy square baby blanket, that puts the weight on his chest, with out covering up the rest of his limbs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

my son's picky about textures. We use a cotton flannel sheet on his bed... it's the only one he doesn't complain about. And the color of stuff matters to him too. (I don't care about colors, but i do prefer pink. - and anything hello kitty haha)

Quoting 03071012:

thankfully my dd doesn't seem to mind what fabric I used. the only thing she flipped about was it had to be Dora. I did sew ribbon tags along the top for her and she lives it. she can run her fingers through the tags while under her blanket. she only keeps it on until she falls asleep. once she's asleep she kicks it off. though if she leaves part of it on part of her she will sleep all night, but if it is completely off her she wakes up several times a night. I wish she'd leave it on.

Quoting kajira:

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN