Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have to take my son to the dentist. He is 7 and has never had his own exam. He is going to freak out and I do not know if the dentist will even be able to get near him. I do not know what to do. Has anyone had this issue? What do you do to get your child to relax? Are there special dentists thatb work with special needs kids? If yes, where can I find one?

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:38 AM
Well, call the office, speak to the staff, explain your son's anxiety and see if they are able to make some accommodations for him. I took my son on a preliminary visit just for him to see the place, see what they do, meet the staff and get comfortable with the idea that he has an upcoming appointment.

His tech was incredibly kind to him and he was in complete control during his exam and cleaning. When the procedure became overwhelming he raised his hand and they took a break. We often had to book two appointments because he was unable to finish the complete procedure in one visit.

If your son is absolutely unable to tolerate the procedure because his anxiety is too pronounced then you can discuss medications, sedatives, gas, etcetera with the dentist. Most clinics are willing to work with their patients anxiety issues. It's very common in this field of work.
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:01 AM
There are special needs dentists available. If he sees a dev pedi they can probably refer you or give you a list of contacts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM

There are dentists that have experience or knowledge about working with kids who are special needs.  I would call the office and explain your concerns about his upcoming visit.  They should be able to give you information to help him prepare for the appointment as well as possibly switching doctors to someone who has more experience. 

My kids go to a dentist office that only sees children.  They have dentists that are trained in working with special needs kids.  She was wonderful when I took Will over the summer (he is 6).  When he was younger, he wouldn't open his mouth for exams.  But, she had him sit in my lap (facing me) and had him lay back so  his head was in her lap.  He was more cooperative this way and let her check his teeth. 

Good luck and I hope the appointment goes well!  ((hugs))

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

 Look for a pediatric dentist if you can.  In Illinos, kids have to have a dental exam before they enter Kindergarten.  My son went to a regular dentist for the check up and had 2 cavaties.  The dentist wouldn't fill them.  We had to find a pediatric dentist and tell them the situation.  Good luck.

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Yes, there are dentists that specialize in special needs.  But really from what I've seen medical professionals in general have a lot of catching up to do.  Many of them are really lacking in methods and tools to deal with our kids.  Where I live most of them send the child to be sedated and do the work that way.  

by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Thanks everyone. I will call a pediatric dentist and explain my situation. I appreciate your advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)