Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Melatonin Question- up dose?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son takes 1 mg at night around 7-730pm. He will typically go to sleep around 8-8:30pm. Give or take a few. Over the past number of days, he has been getting up super early- like 2 days in a row he has woken up at 4:15am- ready to be up. Should I up his dose? I know melatonin is used to help with falling asleep, but not necessarily staying asleep and it does a good job with the falling asleep part. I do have a call into his ped- but was hoping for real life advice too. Thanks!

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JSD24
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM

It's only in the blood at an effective level for around 90 - 120 minutes.  We were told to use benadryl at bedtime if DD didn't stay asleep.  You might ask your doc about a 2nd dose to get your DS back to sleep at 4:30.

millot310
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thank you! Thats great info to know!

K1tten
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's pedi told me to give him 3mg of melatonin and it works great. Might need to up the dose I'd ask the pedi like you stated first. For the most part he stays asleep.

isotoner
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 6:54 AM
I agree on checking with your doctor since it only helps them fall asleep. Keep us posted.

Quoting JSD24:

It's only in the blood at an effective level for around 90 - 120 minutes.  We were told to use benadryl at bedtime if DD didn't stay asleep.  You might ask your doc about a 2nd dose to get your DS back to sleep at 4:30.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Yes definitely call Dr. About it but yes mine started off at low dose at age 5. Through the years we had to up it to 3mg and just yesterday his Dr. Upped it to 6mg. The older and bigger he gets it works less and less. My son is 8 now and a big boy for an 8 year old. Also talk to Dr about maybe giving him a time release melatonin so it well release slowly and last throughout the night only problem is finding a time release melatonin that comes in the right dose I have doybd a hard time in local stores finding the lower dose ones but I'm sure some online research could maybe find one. I hope I've been helpful. Our next move for our son is chlonodine if Heisman sleep issues continue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
millot310
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM

We had him on hydroxizine, but it would only work every few weeks. It's like he built a tolerance after 1 dose or something. I am still waiting on the ped to call back. When I left a message, I noted it wasnt urgent since his office hours close at 12pm on Friday and I had left a message after that time. When we switched to melatonin, I was doubtful it would work, but it did, so I am happy about that part. Id love for him to sleep until about 7am though. LOL  From my research, it seems common that kids on the spectrum are melatonin deficient. I will do some research abt the time released one. That seems like a good idea. Thanks all! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)