Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Doctors who diagnose autism in adults and women in particular

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

I might have to be flying to Houston or Tucson.  

http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_05797c6f/wp_05797c6f.html

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheCrooners
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I really hope you will share your journey with us! Have you set up an initial consultation yet?
kajira
by Emma on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Our doctor in Utah was *amazing* she does females and adults.

greenmommo
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM
So you're going to go ahead and do it? If you do, I may have to too ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
badgermom2012
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  Noooo.  Sorry if I sounded like I was being serious.  I don't have any $$$ whatsoever for anything.  But I do think about it.  If it's ever possible while this group still exists I'll certainly post about it though.

Quoting TheCrooners:

I really hope you will share your journey with us! Have you set up an initial consultation yet?

TheCrooners
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Quoting badgermom2012:

Yeah, that would be an expensive trip! I know Emma has enlightened us all with her story but I'm a nosey broad and want an inside view on how they work with female adults. I'm surrounded by dudes and have only met one little girl who was autistic. She was an adorable little thing, very quiet and quick tempered. I still remember her in her pretty pink dress spinning wildly and breathless with giggling.
greenmommo
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Money would be the big thing for us too, but I honestly haven't checked to see if our insurance would cover it. I doubt it.

Quoting badgermom2012:

LOL!  Noooo.  Sorry if I sounded like I was being serious.  I don't have any $$$ whatsoever for anything.  But I do think about it.  If it's ever possible while this group still exists I'll certainly post about it though.

Quoting TheCrooners:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
badgermom2012
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

The airfare to either Houston or Tucson wouldn't be too bad from where I am. I'm more concerned about the cost of the eval.  Emma said where she went it was like 4k for her and her son.  No way I could afford that.  I mean in my case it would just be me since my son is already DXd, but still.  But I'm thinking of calling one of those places and asking though.  It might be less than where Emma went, who knows.  

Quoting TheCrooners:

Quoting badgermom2012:

Yeah, that would be an expensive trip! I know Emma has enlightened us all with her story but I'm a nosey broad and want an inside view on how they work with female adults. I'm surrounded by dudes and have only met one little girl who was autistic. She was an adorable little thing, very quiet and quick tempered. I still remember her in her pretty pink dress spinning wildly and breathless with giggling.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

even though you might not like them, i would try calling autism speaks.

I would also try local universities (check their websites) to see if they are doing studies on evaluations for adults who suspect aspergers. I would also check the NIH website.

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM

So, our total trip was about 3000 -, that included gas, traveling costs, hotel, food, dog boarding, etc.

IT was about 800 per diagnoses, but we didn't have the fancier one done, or it would have been double that for each of us.

For one adult, if you could GET to my doctor, she could hammer it out in a day and you could do it for 800. :P

But, you'd have to pay traveling costs. So, it just depends. I'd highly recommend her to anyone who wants to go on a weekday trip and get it out of the way. LOL

She's very accurate and thorough, autismspeaks recommended her for adult females specifically, and she specializes in families who have more than one person with it.

Quoting badgermom2012:

The airfare to either Houston or Tucson wouldn't be too bad from where I am. I'm more concerned about the cost of the eval.  Emma said where she went it was like 4k for her and her son.  No way I could afford that.  I mean in my case it would just be me since my son is already DXd, but still.  But I'm thinking of calling one of those places and asking though.  It might be less than where Emma went, who knows.  

Quoting TheCrooners:

Quoting badgermom2012:

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

badgermom2012
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Yeah, still going back and forth, weighing out the pros and cons.  I'm not sure I meet the full diagnostic criteria and don't want to blow all that money for nothing.  At this point though I definitely feel I have some sort of DX or multiple DX behind repeatedly failing my driving test, for example.  I've also considered just getting a workup by someone local who probably wouldn't diagnose me with anything autism related but might give me another DX or two.  Really, at this point I'm looking into applying for disability.  Sigh.  Well, we'll have to see. Don't mean to perseverate on this topic, ha, ha.  I didn't even mean for this post to be about me!   

Quoting kajira:

So, our total trip was about 3000 -, that included gas, traveling costs, hotel, food, dog boarding, etc.

IT was about 800 per diagnoses, but we didn't have the fancier one done, or it would have been double that for each of us.

For one adult, if you could GET to my doctor, she could hammer it out in a day and you could do it for 800. :P

But, you'd have to pay traveling costs. So, it just depends. I'd highly recommend her to anyone who wants to go on a weekday trip and get it out of the way. LOL

She's very accurate and thorough, autismspeaks recommended her for adult females specifically, and she specializes in families who have more than one person with it.

Quoting badgermom2012:

Quoting TheCrooners:

Quoting badgermom2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)