Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ABA experiences???

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM
  • 25 Replies

Today was a big day for my 3 yo DS, Brady.  He started ABA and Preschool today!  He will be getting 2 hours 4 days a week of ABA.  For those who have children currently in ABA or have successfully graduated out of ABA when did you began to notice improvement?  And for those whose children have graduated out of ABA how long did it take?  I am curious to know because my insurance only covers him up until he is 6 years and 11 months.  I am new to the group so I apologize if this question has been asked before.  Thanks!

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds is 2 years and 4 months and gets ABA 5 days a week for 2 hours each day. It has been about a month and I am noticing less of the tantrums and he is attempting to use more words. He is also having more patience on waiting for things. We are working on him finishing a task and not getting up and wandering away. He is doing that with less and less tantrums. I am not sure at what age he will lose his ABA. I know that he looses his state EI person when he turns 3 cause then he will belong to the school system. Please let me know how Brady likes preschool. I talked to my sons EI and she said he would probably end up going to preschool next year.

Bradysmom83
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Quoting JTMOM422:

My ds is 2 years and 4 months and gets ABA 5 days a week for 2 hours each day. It has been about a month and I am noticing less of the tantrums and he is attempting to use more words. He is also having more patience on waiting for things. We are working on him finishing a task and not getting up and wandering away. He is doing that with less and less tantrums. I am not sure at what age he will lose his ABA. I know that he looses his state EI person when he turns 3 cause then he will belong to the school system. Please let me know how Brady likes preschool. I talked to my sons EI and she said he would probably end up going to preschool next year.

That is great to hear about your son! Brady started the preschool in March, when he was 2 years and 8 months old, for 2 days a week.  He even rode the bus there and back!  I was a nervous wreck but after about a week or so he loved the school and the bus.  I think he may have liked the bus more than the school lol.  He wanted to ride every bus he saw.  Today he started the 3 year old preschool program and it is 5 days a week in the afternoon so he is not back from school yet but when he saw the bus pull up to get him he threw his toy down he had in his hand and ran toward the bus, so I guess it is a good start so far, but I will still be keeping my fingers crossed lol. 

shugerbit
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM
My son landon will be 2 this week and in speech therapy since 18 months and no progress, he started aba about a month ago 4 days a week 2 hours a day and he is getting a lot better with eye contact and is learning how to point, his therapist is awesome and he is so engaged by her, I can't wait to see his progress over the next year. I am hopeful your son will make progress as well. I can't wait to hear him say "mama"! But I will take anything or communiation right now.
Sheriff6
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Just curious, what kind of task would they give a two year old? Seems young to be requesting a task to be completed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:10 PM

With my son's ABA it's all "Look at me" or "Put with Spoon (for matching)" or "Stack Blocks".  It's more that they are trying to pair the verbal commands and comprehension with the physical activity.  When we started my son had ZERO verbal comprehension or ability to speak.  And I remember sitting through those sessions thinking how is he EVER going to get this.  But that's the beauty of ABA - they just keep drilling it and drilling it until one day the lightbulb goes on.  Now it may just be the lightbulb that says "oh now I stack block" but the "put with spoon" lightbulb is still in the dark, but I've seen my son really begin to generalize his gains and make huge strides in his understanding of language.  And while we are pursuing medical treatments for his physical illnesses at the same time which I think is making it easier for Tyler to be present and accounted for in his sessions, I don't think for a moment that he'd be where he is today without his really fantastic ABA therapists. 

Quoting Sheriff6:

Just curious, what kind of task would they give a two year old? Seems young to be requesting a task to be completed?

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I had only one session of ABA b/c they deemed him too advanced for ABA :( At least through the public school system

But that one session was AWESOME!

They played with my son one on one. They did play doh, music, pretend play, clean up, counting, etc. all done with ABA principals. My son loved it and just with one session I use those techniques to teach him all of the milestones he needs to be reaching.

Block design, math principals, story sequencing, music, -- anything -- i can teach my son with ABA

love love love ABA. I'm still fighting for it but I doubt I will get it.

I'm probably going to have to pay out of pocket for the intake -- $2000 -- ouch!

But that will give me goals to work with him at home and they can see him (evaluate him) once a week for I don't know how much yet :(

But still, ABA IMO is awesome!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Quoting Sheriff6:

Depends on the month of year 2. But even at 24 months, a typically developing 24 month old can do a lot.

Its better not to think too much on that though :(

I realized how far behind my son was when they evaluated him for the first time. The questions they were asking him, most of them, I was, "huh? Is a 3 yr old suppose to sequence a story?" Yes, they are.

The good news is, these educational / behavioral therapies are God-send, IMO

Bradysmom83
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I had only one session of ABA b/c they deemed him too advanced for ABA :( At least through the public school system

But that one session was AWESOME!

They played with my son one on one. They did play doh, music, pretend play, clean up, counting, etc. all done with ABA principals. My son loved it and just with one session I use those techniques to teach him all of the milestones he needs to be reaching.

Block design, math principals, story sequencing, music, -- anything -- i can teach my son with ABA

love love love ABA. I'm still fighting for it but I doubt I will get it.

I'm probably going to have to pay out of pocket for the intake -- $2000 -- ouch!

But that will give me goals to work with him at home and they can see him (evaluate him) once a week for I don't know how much yet :(

But still, ABA IMO is awesome!

Good luck with getting ABA! I know it can be difficult to get services :-(. I'm in Virginia and my insurance company just starting covering ABA and other ASD related therapies in January.
philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 3 years and 6 months old.  He had like four months of ABA in early intervention and I felt like it was a waste of time.  It wasn't really teaching him how to engage with anyone.  It was way to rote and ur didn't take into account his functioning level.  Four months before he aged out of EI we began a developmental approach called RDI. (similar to floortime but more teacher or adult directed)  Now we do just the parent traning piece and have found it a good way to get him to engage with us.  Getting him to engage with any peers is still a struggle but we are working on it.  I have the same problem with getting the school district to pay for anything because he is pretty high functioning so we have to pay out of pocket.

Sheriff6
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM
I am glad he is making good progress, that is wonderful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN