Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

If you could ask your kid one question about being autistic?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM
  • 13 Replies

What would it be, and why would it be important for you to know?

Then, what do you think your follow up question might be?

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatyTylersMom
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 2:08 AM
What bothers you the most or is hardest for you to deal with on a daily basis (lol yeah bc any NT two year old could answer that!). Followed by what do you love to do the most? Bc while I can guess at the latter it would be nice to either have confirmation or maybe learn of something even better.
girl_incognito
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:35 AM
I talk to my kid often now that he is older and having more understanding of himself, he is pretty good with back and forth convo as long as he initiates it. I can't think of anything I am wondering about right now.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I would ask him what it's like to be him looking out at the rest of us. Wondering maybe why we are doing or saying certain things. My follow up question would be are you happy being you.

twins0506
by Holly on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I really, really want to know how he feels when he stims. I know you autisic mommas tell us and a someone posted a video but I want to know how my boys feel. Especially when he does that growling sound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I would how does he do it. His mind is constantly on go with no yield sign in sight! All the sounds, smells, lights, etc... scratching at his core! I forget how hard it must be for him to function yet survive in a hone with three loud brothers who don't understand what he goes through. Thank you Emma this really made me stop and realy evaluate things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3Dani75
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Wow, there are so many things I would love to ask him...What is he thinking/feeling when he is trying to communicate with us & we aren't understanding him? I know he's frustrated & mad but what is actually going on inside him when that happens?

He has major meltdowns sometimes because of the lack of communication... I'm still trying to force the school to work with him with a communication device, they are working with sign language but they don't make sure he is doing it properly & they don't tell me exactly what it is they are doing unless I specifically ask...They said he couldn't do the device but he does similar things here at home on his own, I just think they aren't working with him... I had to ask them to teach him some of the signs he knows, they were barely covering the basics...at 10 years old he should know a lot more than he does (he's been in school since he was 4- shortly after the diagnosis) I have to ask them what he is learning so my 2 daughters & I can learn it too & know what he's doing...if I don't ask then I only find out when I get the progress reports but they aren't always specific enough to where I really know what he's learning. I get as frustrated as he does I think because of it, if I thought I could handle doing it on my own I would home school him. (single mom taking college courses without any help except from my other 2 kids ages 12 & 17, so I don't know if I could really do it for him or not)

badgermom2012
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I'd like to know why hates having his fingernails and toenails trimmed and what can I do to make it a less terrible experience.  

chelseamcnorman
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM

WHAT A GREAT POST! I LOVE IT!

Off the top of my head, I guess I'd like to know everything that causes her anxiety. I'm sure the longer I ponder this, the more potential questions I'll think up. Once this thought has been bouncing around inside my brain for awhile, it'll be a strong motivator during my child's recovery. It'll help my eyes on the prize, if you will.

Thank you for posting this! I'm smiling just envisioning the implications of this future conversation that she and I will hopefully be having!

MommyRJ
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I just want to know what he's feeling. About everything. I so desperately wish I knew how he felt when he was stimming or upset/mad or when he can't tell me something.

Then I'd ask him if he was happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

SERIOUSLY!!! What is it about trimming nails?  I have to file my son's nails b/c there is just no way the clippers will ever happen.  He is not a fan of the mani-pedi...

Quoting badgermom2012:

I'd like to know why hates having his fingernails and toenails trimmed and what can I do to make it a less terrible experience.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN