Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ADHD medication. Does your kid take it? Which one?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

My doc gave me a list of possible adhd meds... they fall into two categories: stimulants and non-stimulants.

If your kid takes adhd med, which one does s/he take? when did they start the meds and do you think it has helped? Is it the stimulant or non-stimulant type? My doc said that the stimulant type can increase repetitive behaviors so we might start w/ non-stimulant type.

Has your doc told you the same?

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hwifeandmom
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure which category my son's meds fell into.  He started with Concerta.  I've heard a lot of people have good experiences with it, but it was AWFUL for my son.  He developed all kinds of tics, and he had severe insomnia.  After a week, he was a complete mess, so he stopped that med.

We tried Adderall next.  He did okay on it until the meds wore off at the end of the day.  Then he'd get REALLY angry.  The doc added Strattera to the mix to help even out the moods.   Eventually we dropped the Adderall and just used the Strattera.

Each of the meds caused my son to lose his appetite.  He was a husky guy to begin with, so the weight loss didn't hurt him, but if you have a skinny child to begin with, the loss of appetite side effect can be troublesome. After 2-3 years, the side effects wore off, and he gained his appetite back.  Unfortunately, he also felt like the meds weren't helping his attention deficit as much anymore, either.  

He's been off meds for a couple of years now.  He's 14yrs now.  He just approached me this week, saying that he's having a hard time focusing at school and wants to try ADHD meds again, so we may be trying to figure out what works for him again.

BDSMI
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

We start the day with Vyvanse and Chlodine and give a boast of Focalin after school.  The cocktail has been working for us..Adderall was a nightmare,concerta worked for awhile we tried Focalin 2x a day FocalinXR and the biggest issue we had was lack of appetiate. He just didn't eat.  With the Vyvanse he has gained wieight (He is 13 years old and wieghs 65lbs!!!) so I'm excited becasue he is so tiny....this is the first med we have been on that has little side effects.

WildCat73
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Marissa is on Concerta 36 mg in the am and focalin 10 mg in the afternoon to help focus. her grades had dropped from A-B to failing now they are back up. She does fine with it.

Krystyne is on Focalin 15 mg in am and 5 mg Focalin in afternoon but i noticed she does not focus well at home and teacher said she has trouble focusing on a task until they really get into it.Plus she is always not wanting to eat and her weight has dropped down. She has a appointment next month to discuss this with her Dr. her weight loss is bad. She was already thin.

3mx2mom
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My son started on Tenex. Then Ritalin was added. Then Focalin XR was added. I thought he was on to many meds so we took it to Focalin XR and Ritalin PRN. I loved the Focalin XR and it worked well for my son. However, my insurance company priced me out of it. He is now on Metadate CD and Ritalin PRN. He is doing well on the Metadate CD. All of these meds except the Tenex are stimulants. All of them take his appetite away. I plan meals around when he takes his meds. We've been doing this since he was 4. He will be 11 next month. We have it down to a science.

stefaniehiatt
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My son, who is 8 years old, takes Focalin. It's a stimulant. He has tried a few others in the past and they did not work out so well. We had one make him more fidgety and aggressive. Not sure which one that was but the Focalin seems to be working for him. It does increase his appetite and weight gain can be an issue on this medication. My son is all muscle though so we haven't had the issue. You really just need to try out what you feel is right for you and your child and see how it goes. Meds can react differently for different people. Good luck finding one that works.  

kellylong78
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

vyvanse and it has hardley no side effects, my son had disrupted behavior on adderall , but he was only on it for a short period. The vyvanse has been a complete miracle for us. Last school year he made A's on everything all year long. I know I made the right decision. Good luck

joshuasmom4
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My son josh he has been taking foclin 10mg for about four yrs now..he didn't want to eat so i started giving him flinstones vitamins and it helps but around 4:30 his med has done worn off...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN