Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What weird attachments/interests/fascinations does your child have?

I remember when my daughter was about...18mo-2yrs-2 1/2yrs old..she use to carry around/chew on/ and even sleep with at times...a pair of red, plastic goggles that came with her cousins Little Tykes..or (maybe it was PlaySkool) toy work bench. She LOOOOOOVED THEM...and i remember some of my daughter's father's relatives making lil snarky remarks about it...but i actually had found it endearing.

Also, i noticed that she finds the television shows "COPS" and "DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER"...FASCINATIING! She laughs when people fight or argue on tv (only on tv tho, when my father in laws screams or fights at or with me....she does NOT laugh). She even knows BOTH of the theme songs to the shows!!  She will ASK me to put them on!! She knows the channel "G4"..and will say, "G4 mommy...baaad boys!(meaning cops)". I find it really funny.

HAS ANYONE ELSE'S KID(S) HAD WEIRD OR ODD FASCINATIONS AND ATTACHMENTS?

*IF SO TO WHAT? HOW LONG DID IT LAST? WAS IT CUTE, OR OBSESSIVE?  

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
aakeiser
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM

robots and his little bunny bobo who goes everywhere with him.

magickbaby
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Ostara is obsessed with Edward Cullen. She tells everyone he's her boyfriend, she makes up elaborate stories about him and his vampire family. She also, used to always want to watch the news (back when we used to watch tv) then she would worry like crazy. If there was something about a fire somewhere, then she would worry about our house catching fire. We have since stopped watching all tv. She will sneak on my phone and read the local news sometimes and then worry about stuff. She has a lot of anxiety issues. She also talks A LOT about our cats and Fairies. That's cute though :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krystal.Ingalls
by Member on Sep. 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Right now, Brandon (4 years old) is obsessed with this inflatable shaking tree at Lowe's.  It's a Halloween decoration.  We've been to Lowe's yesterday and today to visit the shaking tree and he's been talking about it nonstop and showing me how the tree shakes.  Lol.  He's going to be sooooo mad when Halloween is over.

amnicu02
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Haydn has been attached to his Easter bunny he got in 2010. I hardly ever get a chance to wash it he loves it so much. He likes to pull on the fur. If he doesn't have his bunny then he pulls his own hair out. Hannah gets attached to stuffed animals very easily but her twin sis, Brailey, doesn't. Brailey likes to watch the commercials with those cheesy lawyers that over exaggerate how much they get their clients. She doesn't laugh at them she just stares. She has me rewind them over and over. As for me, I find myself watching I love lucy and crocheting a lot, especially since its getting cooler outside. When I watch AFV, I get really loud and I laugh at everyone of them because I am amused when people fall or get hurt. My sister bought a hat for when she and her husband go hunting. It was one of those really furry ones that have the flaps on the sides that you can fold up. I stood there and laughed at it when she put it on for about thirty
minutes until she couldn't take it anymore. She is used to me laughing at odd things lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2lnj
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM
My son's first obsession was letters and numbers. He was speech delayed, but actually knew all letters upper and lower case as well as phonics by age 2. He somehow unlocked the phonetic code in his head and taught himself to read before age 3. He still loves to read but his latest obsession is cars and maps. He has about 200 hot wheels cars and can tell you the year, make and model of every one. He draws the most detailed maps on the driveway with sidewalk chalk and he is only 5. The car obsession has been going on since about 3 and shows no signs of stopping. At least it's an inexpensive reward system.
marisab
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

he is always wanting dutch tv programs on youtube and yo gabba gabba  it wa scute but is becoming obcessive

terri-553
by Terri on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Right at this point Thomas is hooked on Travel Channel,Anthony Beadrion;s show,I am kinda thinking w/all of the beeping that happens??why does he watch travel channel is beynod me??LOL-To funny or PBS all week-end working on houses??either one?

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Parts of things...obsessively...he gets lost in it.  Legos....he cant stop until it is done.  

RedHeadedLizzy
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM

My 9 yr old is obsessed with Littlest Pet Shop and Pokemon. She knows EVERYTHING about them, plays video games of them, reads about them, watches videos on them... nothing else really matters (unless its school or family time).  We don't watch TV (don't have cable, etc) but she has access to vids on the Interent (safe sites).  She's also a history/geography nut and knows more than most jr high kids.  We saw a Pez set at Walmart yesterday of 5 presidents.  She knew each one of them and which they were (ie: G Washington was 1st). 

XSummersXmommyX
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I see a trend here....and i use to think it was just my daughter and a few others in her preschool class......but kids with ASD seem to have a real intense OBSESSION/INTEREST with numbers, and letters. I mean my daughter is 3 and she counts to 100 and can read (Small books)....i also notice that trains and things with wheels seem to be a common denominator with ASD kids...hm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN