Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What weird attachments/interests/fascinations does your child have?

I remember when my daughter was about...18mo-2yrs-2 1/2yrs old..she use to carry around/chew on/ and even sleep with at times...a pair of red, plastic goggles that came with her cousins Little Tykes..or (maybe it was PlaySkool) toy work bench. She LOOOOOOVED THEM...and i remember some of my daughter's father's relatives making lil snarky remarks about it...but i actually had found it endearing.

Also, i noticed that she finds the television shows "COPS" and "DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER"...FASCINATIING! She laughs when people fight or argue on tv (only on tv tho, when my father in laws screams or fights at or with me....she does NOT laugh). She even knows BOTH of the theme songs to the shows!!  She will ASK me to put them on!! She knows the channel "G4"..and will say, "G4 mommy...baaad boys!(meaning cops)". I find it really funny.

HAS ANYONE ELSE'S KID(S) HAD WEIRD OR ODD FASCINATIONS AND ATTACHMENTS?

*IF SO TO WHAT? HOW LONG DID IT LAST? WAS IT CUTE, OR OBSESSIVE?  

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
JoJoSofe
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

My two year old (still undiagnosed) is obsessed with ducks and spoons.  She has a dozen rubber ducks of different sizes and she has to bring at least two everywhere with her...  She used to be like that with the spoons, but that's now taken a backburner to the ducks.  LOL those are the only toys she plays with right now, lining them up in a perfect line, then moving them all one by one to a different location in a perfect line.

writethisdown
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM
My 12 year old has been totally compulsively obsessed with Minecraft(block-building sandbox computer game) for about two years now. His therapist last year said he would stare past her and she knew he was building minecraft blocks in his head.
However, he just came to me and said he's done. He's exhausted every new thing that can be done with Minecraft and he actually put his laptop away(scary unusual).
So now he's anxious, upset, has been pacing the house (literally walking from one end to the other and back for up to an hour) and is having trouble coping. Im trying to get him hooked onto something more academic(we've been having lots of quantum physics talks). But he needs a new fixation because its very stressful for him without one. He also like medieval weaponry but not being able to carry that through to actually making them upsets him so he let it go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3bugs
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Legos. He makes the most amazing things with a pile of Legos. There is no way I could make some of the stuff that he does. He also still loves soft, fluffy blankets. BTW...he is 15 1/2 yrs old.

Angela

neptunekitty
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol me and my bf work a lowes.. That tree is awesome... My bf's LO 4 is obsessed with the skeleton guys..it's all about skeletons

Quoting Krystal.Ingalls:

Right now, Brandon (4 years old) is obsessed with this inflatable shaking tree at Lowe's.  It's a Halloween decoration.  We've been to Lowe's yesterday and today to visit the shaking tree and he's been talking about it nonstop and showing me how the tree shakes.  Lol.  He's going to be sooooo mad when Halloween is over.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
927red
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

That's awesome! Our son also loves garbage trucks. He's only four so his truck collection is only at 12, lol! When we go out he stops at each trash can prentending he is a side loader, extends his arm and 'picks up' each can and dumps it. How did you decorate his room? I'd love to see pictures. Have you taken him to visit a landfill or facility before? We did with our son and he loved it :) People were super nice too :)

elkmomma
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

When my son was teething (now 12) his favorite thing was NOT his teething rings.  It HAD to be the dogs dental bone (non disolvable) or the raw hide leather strap a friend gave him.

autismmom13
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Legos and Star Wars-I've seen those movies 6 million times!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachelle11503
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

LOL up until two years ago she had this adult size pair of SpongeBob pajama pants. She took them every where with her as a toddler then into childhood she slept with them every night, she would twist them around her finger to fall asleep and she HAD to have them.
Even at 8 she is very attached to certain stuffed animals. She has a bomber bird (angry birds) stuffie (as she calls them) that has to sleep by her pillow facing a certain direction to protect her.
As for her fascinations...Rocks...rocks rocks. She knows everything about them and has a collection, along with her nature collection. Her other interest that has continued through the years is Cats..every week she checks out a book about cats (reference only)

Dissolutions
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Nova loves anything that pours like rice, gravel, ect. she also likes balls ALOT and she is like obsessed with the fresh beat band lol, so much so we took her to see them live. shes actually been talking ALOT since watching that show lol. 

love_my_angels
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

my son loves wheels. he spins them, he rips the wheels off his toys. he must sleep with them too. he is very attached to circles

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN