Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What weird attachments/interests/fascinations does your child have?

I remember when my daughter was about...18mo-2yrs-2 1/2yrs old..she use to carry around/chew on/ and even sleep with at times...a pair of red, plastic goggles that came with her cousins Little Tykes..or (maybe it was PlaySkool) toy work bench. She LOOOOOOVED THEM...and i remember some of my daughter's father's relatives making lil snarky remarks about it...but i actually had found it endearing.

Also, i noticed that she finds the television shows "COPS" and "DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER"...FASCINATIING! She laughs when people fight or argue on tv (only on tv tho, when my father in laws screams or fights at or with me....she does NOT laugh). She even knows BOTH of the theme songs to the shows!!  She will ASK me to put them on!! She knows the channel "G4"..and will say, "G4 mommy...baaad boys!(meaning cops)". I find it really funny.

HAS ANYONE ELSE'S KID(S) HAD WEIRD OR ODD FASCINATIONS AND ATTACHMENTS?

*IF SO TO WHAT? HOW LONG DID IT LAST? WAS IT CUTE, OR OBSESSIVE?  

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Replies (61-70):
patnic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

We are back to trains.  

-ZombieGirl-
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM

At first it was Mickey & Minnie Mouse. She would carry a them around from the age of 3yrs to almost 5yrs old everywhere!

Then it was Angry Birds, she as them all but I only let her carry one at a time when we go out. She carried these about from almost 5yrs old to about a month ago.

Then just recently it's been Chica from Sprout. 

All of them was obsessive and made going out very difficult because if she saw something that had them on it she had to have it. Angry Birds was the worst because they are everywhere! But it's starting to slow down and Chica isn't as common. 

XSummersXmommyX
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Quoting Dissolutions:

Nova loves anything that pours like rice, gravel, ect. she also likes balls ALOT and she is like obsessed with the fresh beat band lol, so much so we took her to see them live. shes actually been talking ALOT since watching that show lol. 

Ok, so my dd is also a HUGE Fresh Beat Band fan....i wanted to take her to see them Live but i was nervous it would be too much for her yknow? Can you tell me what it was like? I mean my daughter knows EVERY SONG, and dances all the dances to a TEE!! (Shes 3 mind you). However she does NOT do well with crowds, or EXTREMELY LOUD noises...how was the environment? Could the kids like get outta their seats and run around? dance? Was it REALLY loud? I mean obviously its loud cause its a concert but you know what i mean, right? when i say REALLY loud?

Where do you live? Im in Long Island Ny, and when they came here the show sold out in 10seconds FLAT. People were so desperate to get tixx they actually paid $2g's for 4 seats in the 8th row!?!?*(It was in a our local paper). OBVI i wouldnt pay THAT much, but i would've loved to have taken her...should i take her next time they come?

wolfgirlbec
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Hmmm... let's see... Where do I even start?!!...well,first & foremost,military combat aircraft(*he HAS to have an airplane in hand at all times & god forbid if a part breaks off! Believe me,he keeps track of every .single .one! ),He also loves nature/animals/anything outdoors & anything star wars,transformers,or superheroes,playing airsoft or ps3 w/ his dad(ds is 16 btw & aspie's),He loves watching pretty much anything on CN,the discovery & military channels,&(no thanks to dh here! *sigh! Lol) Loves Family Guy & American Dad,which they watch together.But we all also enjoy sitting down as a family to watch classics like the Twilight Zone(one of dh's & my all time faves!) & Star Trek(Dh is the trekkie.Lol) & an awesome show that features B-movies that comes on one of our local channels here every saturday,as well as all getting together for 'Once Upon a Time'(1 of MY faves!) every sunday.:-) He also enjoys drawing pics of his planes,as well as reading about them.(*Well,provided the books are mostly full of pics,though he's one of the best readers in his class!)He's such a cool kid,but all on the spectrum are,in my opinion! cat

MamaDevil3
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Hmmm so many choices with DS well lets see he is so obsessed with Pirates. Pirates of the Carribean is his all time favorite series.Blowing things up not that we let him mind you LOL . Oh and another thing is ghost hunters is his favorite show. His newest obsession is making his own video game with his uncle ( my big brother) that is a non stop thing lately. I had to call my brother to get him to explain to him that was going to be s long process LOL. HD just seems to have an unlimited imagination.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angeliabell
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM
My son (who is three) loves drinking straws. He will arrange them by color. He also loves Legos or anything in different colors that he can stack and/or organize, such as plastic mixing bowls, boxes, plastic ware, puzzles, sometimes Matchbox cars, etc. When looking to buy him toys its usually something out of the ordinary. Oh and he also loves playing on the iPad or iPhone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chellebelle04
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My son will be 9 next month, and has had many obsessive type interestes over the years.  It started with trains, and we aren't totally done with that phase yet, he now has electric trains as oposed to thomas.  He also used to line things up like cars, full soda cans, movie cases, anything really that he could.

More recently it's been legos, minecraft video game (he's more interested in watching the youtube videos than playing) He also loves the solar system, checking the weather (we went thru a big phase where he had to do this several times a day from my phone) And he loves anything that has a motor, and can make any motor sound effect...He's also had fascinations with flags, maps, and the titanic ...Does anyone else's kids prefer references books to fiction?  He wants books on how things work, or geography, or flags of the world, space etc...

He's had this obsession to touch the railroad track that's on our way home from his bus stop everyday too...that's his new one he can't not touch the track.

XSummersXmommyX
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Ok, so i KNOW im not the only one that see's  a trend here right???? EVERY kid with some form of Autism has an obsession with Trains,wheels,numbers,and letters!!! I mean whether they have the obsession for YEARS or just a few weeksl...those things seem VERY "preferred" for kids with ASD...

AshtonsMum
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM
My son, 4 yrs old, has a new obsession everyday that he has to carry around with him. Sometimes its played with, sometimes he just wants to hold it tight. He does have an obsession with my corkscrew/bottle opener. It looks like a little person because of the metal arms on the side. He watches wall e and sets that and a zooble in from of the tv in the same position, everyday. Its like a shrine for wall-e lol. He gets upset if I move it. I try to put it up if my family is over because it is kind of weird seeing a wine opener in a kids room lol. He just loves his shrine though. He gets really attached to certain outfits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM
My son loves "The Backyardigans". He can't get enough of them. He also likes toothbrushes a lot lately. I have been buying extra, so he doesn't get upset when I put away the one we are using on his teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)