Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Trying to get my son on SSI

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son Ethan finally made it to the top of the DD waiver list for New Mexico.  He has been on the waiting list for 11 years.  So now comes the chore of lots more paperwork for the waiver, for medicaid, and SSI.  His caseworker is great and lots of help, people at the state office have been great helping with medicaid paperwork.  It's just the social security office that is being a pain.  They don't even want to tell me where the forms are to even start filling them out.  I've been a couple of times and they have been busy, but aren't they always busy and shouldn't they have to help no matter what your request is?!?!?  If that is true than why can't they just give me the forms?  I'm not asking them to fill them out for me, just hand them to me and I will leave and bring them back when they are all filled out and I have all the other documents they want.

Just venting now, I'm obviously not giving up, just needing to vent.   I will succeed no matter how rude and nasty those people are.

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
girl_incognito
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Lots of the forms for SSi may be found online. Not sure what you are looking for though

riangie
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey there :) I'm sorry they are giving you such a hard time with this. I filed for ssi for my daughter a few months back. I'm trying to remember everything I did :/ You can go right to the website http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/child.htm  (I'm not sure how old your child is) to start filling out the disability report. I think it files electronically. I can't remember but I think I also had to send in signed papers to my local office. It took a little bit and I got an appointment letter in the mail and they sent the full application. I took every single piece of info I could that I thought would demonstrate her disability with me to the appt. Hope this helps! Good luck :)

marinemom73
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Thank you very much!  I will check out the site and get going!  I really appreciate it.

marisab
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM
you can do the application online for him and the first interview by phone
lasombrs
by Sara on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

if you go to their website you want to fill out the online report for child disability. this is not the application! You need to fill this out first, and warning it took me 4 hours to track down all the info for it. Then you need to call and make an appointment to go in person (local phone numbers can be find on their site as well) then they do a phone interview, then you go to the appointment and do the application with them in person. Then we had another phone interview and then he got his payments started,

We were accepted the first time through

marinemom73
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Hopefully we will be approved the first time through as well but I know a few people that had to appeal at least once.  Here's to good luck and keeping track of all documents I need!

BDSMI
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I did mine a little backwards.  I called and requested an appt they helped me fill out the child disability paperwork and then they also went through the application with me.  I will tell you it took me 18 months 3 appeals and hours on the phone but we get our first payment Oct 1st!!  Good Luck!!

calusari
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such trouble with Social Security; I recently applied for my son to receive SSI, and so far it's been fairly simple. I have received courteous treatment and all of the forms that I needed to fill out were sent to me quickly. I'm sure that it depends on the office; some are run better than others.

Good luck to you; I'm new to this SSI thing, so I have no idea how long it will take to learn the outcome.

marinemom73
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I finally found the forms online thanks to some help from some wonderful people on this site.  I have them all filled out and am moving forward now.  Thank you all so much and let the waiting for an answer begin!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN