Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Grandson is being told he has Autism:*(

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am not new to dealing with a special needs child....My son died of a lifetime illness.  So I know the feeling to just sit and cry about, which where my daughter back is at, plus more testinf today, she think they will get worse news.  Michael, my grandson, is very high evolved in things he can do....Like he will give hugs and kisses, he can look you in the eyes when he wants to, and he does know what you are saying, just can get the words out...I am here to get the good, the bad, and the ugly truth.  I want know for myself, and how I can help Little Michael Shawn, and my strong Becki, she just not know it yet......I want to be there for the whole family.  They live in Florda, and I in PA.  So I am doing this from long distants, mainly phone...and skype....So anyone which I know there are alot of you out there.....So Thank You For All Your Help!!!!!!shrugging

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girl_incognito
4 moms liked this

Okay, first you will have to realize that autism is not a death sentence. An autism diagnosis will not change your grandson. It's not the worst thing that could ever happen, It's challenging, but doable.

Remember no one ever dies from Autism.

Chin up, it's going to be fine!

The biggest battles for us have been in school and his behavior. It's all getting better too.

Children who are nonverbal can learn to communicate even if their words don't come from their lips.

myfirstborn04
1 mom liked this
Welcome just posted on your other post. Autism is not just one category! Every child is different! There are verbal and non verbal persons. Although there are so much mire therapies and advances today than before some will work for some and some may not. Its not a bad thing. Its just a different way of seeing this world. My firstborn son was dx at age 4&1/2. He was nonverbal and through speech, ot, and physical therapies he has learned to speak and even read! He is very emotional and now school is becoming very difficult for him to handle. I also have a 5 year old with possible aspergers. He is very smart but its his inability to communicate with proper words and react to everyday things that is holding him back. I take it one day at a time. Always remember to be patient and understanding. Although you are long distance your support is always a big help! Tell us more about your grandson.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Welcome to the group. I wish that there was some info that I could give but I am still new at this too. My ds was dx back in July. I joined this group looking for info and these wonderful ladies are more help that i could have expected. Your grandson is still the same person you always knew and loved. He just does things a little different is all.  It will get better.

RockinMama0608

I just responded to your other post with some suggestions about being supportive of your daughter and grandson as well as a website that can give you some information about autism.  Like the other ladies have mentioned, autism is not life threatening.  I have a 6 year old son with autism and he was diagnosed at age 3.  Hang in there, it will be okay!

Nania1018
2 moms liked this

I want to say thank you for a response.....We know it is not a death sentence for him....It will take a lot of work, and support to help us all to learn to deal with....Michael Shawn will alway be his own person, just like his sister Isabella is her own person.....I just hard on my daughter Becki, to deal with it.....First her younger Brother had special needs, now her son.  I am trying to get her get her fight up, and get ready for many changes in their lives.  There really don't have a so call schedule in the household,...tht going to be a big change for them....The main thing is that they are going to need to push him, a little more, then they are....Right now Mom is trying to deal with it, but Daddy is in denial over it......Plus many other issues going on right now....So I want to be there for them....Just have to do it from a distants.  She is in Florda I am in PA, and neither of us can afford to go see each other....So I am been a should, via phone, everyday, acouple times a day......So where I can help I will, I just need to know the in and outs, how can I help.....thank you again...

Michael Shawn will be 3 in Oct.  They are getting testing thru the school right now, and everytime he goes thru a test, the new get worse...School say he has Austim Spectrum.  Now they need to get the doctor to agree, so they can get home on SSI....

The Other thing I have not sure if this a family issue, or just a fluck thing that happens.  My sister son , Adam is now 15, and they say he has aspergers.  My Brother son, Joey who son has been Dx with Autism or if it has change to aspergers.  I am going to try to reach him.....So we have family support, they work and I don't....so it is very hard to get hold of, at any time.....lol  so I am here....

I guess the best way to start is start at the beginning.....just starting, so If you can help me get thru this first phase...That will be a start....

Aspiemom0203
Found it! If you can do lots of research that she may not have time for and just do a quick break down and narrow it down to certain links that would be helpful. Another huge thing we Mother's go through is just support. Family members and friends either don't want to accept, think we just don't discipline or start to fade away. So being supportive and just listening is huge. SSI isn't too bad just make sure she brings the appropriate paperwork. Start with your family physician and ask for a referral to a developmental ped or psychiatrist to get the official dx.

You want to help ask her what needs to be done. Calling around to set up appts. Looking up what paperwork needs to be brought to SSI ect. Then call her at the end of the day with the run down. Did I just ask you to play personal assistant? Yep! You know more than anyone how much time we spend running around and then calling and researching. If you can take part of that on with her permission of course, how much free time to spend working with your grandson would that give. Oh Cozi calendar would be great for that too because she could add you and you'd be available to see the calendar. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

my son and I are both autistic - I didn't post to this because you posted it under "just us girls" instead of the main support forum. I tend to avoid the chit chat threads, and just post on threads that have a more specific topic. (hey, i'm autistic, it comes with the territory, I don't do chit chat. LOL) 

All I can say is a positive attitude will go a long way. :) good luck! and it's graet that you are supportive of your daughter and grandson.

twins0506
by Holly on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I agree with the others, just be supportive for her. Its going to be a long road and she's lucky to have you with her, well from a distance :) but it's better than most have!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RedHeadedLizzy

Hugs. This must be the post you were referring to in your other post. Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate. My daughter has Aspergers and we had a time of it.  The best thing I found for her when it was really bad was acceptance and love.  Just love them.  Send letters, cards, tangible things that little Michael can see and hold.  Yes, calls and emails and such are good, but if he can hold something and know it's from you, it will last longer. 

As Michael J Fox says (he and I both suffer from Parkinsons) My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance and inverse proportion to my expectations. 

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Welcome to the group.  

One important thing to remember, if your grandson is autistic, is that the diagnosis is NOT going to chage the sweet, special boy that you already know and love.  Rather, the diagnosis is a tool that will help your daughter, you, his teachers and others involved in his life to be able to help him and know him better.

We are glad you're here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN