Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I am Just a grandmother trying to get information.  I have been other support groups, that greet new members right away.  I don't know if it is because I am a grandparent, or what I really need to find out what I can on this to help support my daughter and grandson.  So I can help with my grandson, and him and me to understand things.......So please respond soon....banging head into wall

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
kathrynmlise
2 moms liked this

You are not JUST the grandma! If you love and are advocating for a child you are important. Just wanted to make that clear! Welcome to the group!

ventigurl
First time seeing your post, welcome!! <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JudyE07
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hello I havent been on in a while i dont get the chance very often. Sorry no one made you feel welcome. How old is your grandchild? Mine is nine and has autisism but my other four were ok. I think his shots did that to him.

Brytonmyday
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Super G'ma I am going to call you, if that's okay? Because that is just what you are:) You have taken the best first step, asking questions and searching for support. Your family will experience alot of emotional rollercoasters in the near future, for some families it is worse than others. That is one thing about Autism that you willnot beable to change. One thing I can tell you is it does get easier and more manageable and even humerous at times if you can allow yourself to laugh:) good luck LOVE & LAUGHTER will get your family through the what I call "Autism"  Now What? stage. Keep your heads up, arms open and Smiles ready because you should be proud, accept and give all the hugs you need and want . As for Smiles I promise there will be plenty to Smile about SUPER GRANDMA'!!!grandma

Jenn8604
Ive been in one of the many other autism groups on here lately. and my fb support group. I havent been in here in awhile. Sorry. Welcome. Whats ur name? grandsons name? his dx (diagnosis)? how much time do you get to spend with him? grandparents are an awesome help. My mom lives with me and helps me raise my son. She watches him while I work. I dont know what Id do w out her. Im having her join here too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nania1018

Well I am a long distant Nania, Micheal will be 3 in Oct.  We are just getting some of the hard fact, But his parents have aways to go in learning to deal with this.  But I have myDaughter, working on one day a week, so I can skype with him.....I also offer to be her assistant, with making appointments, and getting their schedules organized....That was turn down right now, hope she changes her mine.  Plus I am the Shoulder she needs.  We both are dealing with Bipolar, so any stress can throw us over the edge.  Working to keep me and her from doing that.....Thanks Sorry for the Post overlook, I just want thing to happen, not thinking you are all busy with your kids, Sorry, that the Bipolar in me.......right now on a real high, which make me want answers right away....Please forgive me....

im sorryNania

kaiser10123
Welcome and everything will be ok. As a parent of a child with a disability we tend to blame ourselves and go into this downward spiral. And ur awesome for being there for her. My son was diagnosed with ASD when he was 2 so now that he's 3 I've had a whole year to drown in self pity but trust me its hard to see other children do what my 3yo can't he's gonna get there. So you keep being you and keep reassuring her it will get better with getting him the help he needs. If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer from my own experience.
Quoting Nania1018:

Well I am a long distant Nania, Micheal will be 3 in Oct.  We are just getting some of the hard fact, But his parents have aways to go in learning to deal with this.  But I have myDaughter, working on one day a week, so I can skype with him.....I also offer to be her assistant, with making appointments, and getting their schedules organized....That was turn down right now, hope she changes her mine.  Plus I am the Shoulder she needs.  We both are dealing with Bipolar, so any stress can throw us over the edge.  Working to keep me and her from doing that.....Thanks Sorry for the Post overlook, I just want thing to happen, not thinking you are all busy with your kids, Sorry, that the Bipolar in me.......right now on a real high, which make me want answers right away....Please forgive me....

im sorryNania

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aakeiser

I think it's great you want to learn more to help.  I wish my in laws would join.. Welcome to the group.  Like others said, if i don't know the answer or how to respond I don't post anything.  Sorry, I will try not to do it in the future. 

im sorryhugs

terri-553
by Terri on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

welcome to cafemomI am sorry,Being new to the group.How old is your grandson??Being in the life w/anyone w/has Austism is quite a jounery.Trust me,what is he doing at this point??there are so many differnet levels/things see ya soon

mightymo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

i'm a grandmother also , i pop in here at least once a day for the same reason as you ,it is a good site , sorry i didn't see your post

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN