Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My ASD three yer old goes to the head start program at the elementary school. He takes the bus four days a week to school. They switch between Fridays and Wednesdays every week for a day off. This past week it was a wednesday. He came home on Tuesday and we asked how school was, we weren't expecting an answer, but he broke down in tears screaming he was sorry. I kind of brushed it off he has a flair for the dramatic. Well the next day they had off but i reminded him he had school again on Thursday and again he broke down screaming and crying about how he was sorry so so sorry. It made me think that something had happened at school since he did it a second time so I wrote his teacher a note to read the next day. Well Thursday rolls around and he gets on the bus fine until I told him to have a good day at school. He had a complete meltdown even the bus driver was a little caught back by it. She said she would keep an eye on him and let me know if anything happened. Well I went inside and was chatting with DH about his latest breakdown and we both decided that DH would drop by unannounced (we are allowed to, his teacher said its perfectly fine) He went and stopped by for a few minutes and DS seemed fine. He got to dress the weatherman in his outside clothes and do the pointer for the days of the week. DS gets home perfectly happy and content and I saw his teacher wrote me back. She said that he wasn't having any problems but she would keep an eye out and let me know. She also called me later in the afternoon to talk about it. She is amazing and I love her more than his teacher last year who would just blow us off whenever we tried to talk. Anyways I was talking to my family about it and my dad agreed that DH dropping in was a good move. My mom thinks we should do it more often in case they were just putting on a show, She thinks they lock him in a closet and leave him there..my mom is a weirdo. But my sister said we had no right to pop in unannounced to check on him and that we are so paranoid she i surprised we let him out of the house. So my question is Does your child's school allow you to drop unannounced and have you ever done it? We figure that as long as we don't mention the word school he does fine so it might just be the word he doesn't like. Also how is the school year going for you guys?

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Replies (11-11):
twins0506
by Holly on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. I think you did the right thing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN