Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sensory toys?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

any recommendations for sensory toys that can help with sensory processing disorder? :) looking for any suggestions from learning to fidget toys. 

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

squishy balls, chewy tubes, bean bags, bean bag chairs, swing, weighted items, brushing, exercise ball, mini trampoline

Dissolutions
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

ohhh i LOVE the trampoline idea i swear sometimes nova can jump and jump and jump lol! 

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM

sensory box

Check out the dollar bins in stores. I puchased many of these from the Target dollar bins. You can add other things like bags of rice or pasta. Soft pieces of cloth might be nice too.

My son has a sensory box. We put his sensory toys in it and only give it to him when he needs it. That way not only does he not get bored with it, we can supervise him, so he doesn't put stuff in his month that doesn't belong there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dissolutions
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

awesome! i cant wait to go shopping now, and really awesome idea with the box, i am DEFF going to do that.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Big old platform swing (2x3 feet at least) that you can hook into a beam in a low-ish ceiling (we have ours in the dining room/kitchen area lol) - good for laying down on, sitting up, and standing up to practice balance.  You can also do therapy activities like catching a ball or grabbing something from your hand to work on hand eye coordination.

Ball pit - get a cheap tent WITH A ZIPPER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD so the balls stay IN!  Then get about 200 more balls than you think you need and let the kids go nuts all zipped in tight:)

Big storage plastic container and fill it with dried beans (costco has big bags of pinto, red, black, etc.) - make it big and deep enough for the kid to be IN the box IN the beans and not have them spill over but if you have a chewer you'll have to be on them to not eat the beans. 

Big yoga ball you can bounce them on, roll them on their tummy/belly, mash them with it even to the point where you're lying on the ball on top of them on a soft surface. 

Flexible mirror (read: non breakable) that you can set on the floor and this stuff called "Gak" - you can make it yourself I know it was mostly glue and something else I can't recall, and then food coloring of your choice.  You can flip it to make HUGE bubbles on the mirror that even the most sensory defensive kids can't resist popping. It cleans up pretty decently too, even out of carpet... mostly:)

Trampoline - One Step Ahead has a great one for about $100 - DOES NOT FLIP and has a nice handle bar to hang onto for the balanced challenged jumpers like my son.  We wedge it into the corner of our sofa and loveseat so even if they fly off they land on a couch:)

Koosh balls.  The bigger the better according to my kids:)

Dissolutions
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM

*rubs hands together evily* i forsee my husband hating me tomorrow because i have to go shopping now that i have alot of amazing ideas (keep em coming too, i love them all)

i really like the beans idea, seems like that could be a two-fer as well and could incorporate some funnels and containers perhaps, for motor? 

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Funnels, measuring cups, wide-mouthed bottles to pour into, various containers to sort the beans, week-at-a-time pill organizers for "special beans", you name it:)

Quoting Dissolutions:

*rubs hands together evily* i forsee my husband hating me tomorrow because i have to go shopping now that i have alot of amazing ideas (keep em coming too, i love them all)

i really like the beans idea, seems like that could be a two-fer as well and could incorporate some funnels and containers perhaps, for motor? 

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM
3 moms liked this

a 3 ring binder, plastic protector sheets, a pair of scissors, fabric glue,  construction paper and a trip to the fabric store. Make a "texture book" Get a bunch of fabric scraps ... furry, slick, synthetic, cotton,leather, stretchy, you get the idea. Glue the fabric onto the constriction paper. Next, cut circles or squares on one side of the plastic sheet protector and slide the sheet in with the fabric side on the side with the holes in it. She can explore the textures. This can be a really neat project. I did my son's with a picture of an animal that the fabric may represent since he really likes animals.... He brings his "book" with him and will flip through the pages and rub on the fabrics while we talk about the animals. This keeps him calm in the grocery store, or when we are waiting to go eat at a restaurant. 

Dissolutions
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Quoting DyerMaker:

a 3 ring binder, plastic protector sheets, a pair of scissors, fabric glue,  construction paper and a trip to the fabric store. Make a "texture book" Get a bunch of fabric scraps ... furry, slick, synthetic, cotton,leather, stretchy, you get the idea. Glue the fabric onto the constriction paper. Next, cut circles or squares on one side of the plastic sheet protector and slide the sheet in with the fabric side on the side with the holes in it. She can explore the textures. This can be a really neat project. I did my son's with a picture of an animal that the fabric may represent since he really likes animals.... He brings his "book" with him and will flip through the pages and rub on the fabrics while we talk about the animals. This keeps him calm in the grocery store, or when we are waiting to go eat at a restaurant. 

omg! i LOVE that idea! i love getting crafty, and perhaps i can get nova in on the fun of making it. sounds easy enough to make, do you by chance have a website or anything i can refer to when i sit down and make it?

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM

They have also been described as "quiet books" although, my son and I certainly aren't quiet, lol. Here is a blog where I got the idea, and his OT and I made a much simpler version.... this was my inspiration. I kept my son highly involved, because I did not want a texture he didn't like in the book. That is why we did something really simple with just cutouts on one side of a plastic sheet protector. I think we spent a total of 15 bucks, and it has been worth every cent. 

Quoting Dissolutions:

Quoting DyerMaker:

omg! i LOVE that idea! i love getting crafty, and perhaps i can get nova in on the fun of making it. sounds easy enough to make, do you by chance have a website or anything i can refer to when i sit down and make it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)