Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New with Autism

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

Well we finally got the diagnosis of mild autism. They mentioned that his IQ was 125 which is on a superior level.  I have suspected it for a few years now, my son is almost 5. Im ok with the diagnosis but im just wondering what do I do now?  He takes Speech, OT and PT.  Hes been doing that for almost 2 years.  Hes such an amazing kid, he has the most gently and tender heart.  Hes my world.  I am a single mom,we live with my mom and aunt and my son never sees his dad.  son is constantly going and going and he is constanytly screaming and asking questions.Sometimes though it can be so frustrating and just exhausting  I love him more . than life itself.  I feel terrible because I feel that.  How do you all cope with that? After the diagnosis, what is usually the next step.

Photobucket
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sheriff6
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Research diet for your son, many autistic kids have issues with foods that can contribute to behavior issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM

diets are not 100% proven and if you have a picky child with tons of texture and visual issues, good luck.

just take it one day at a time.. is he in K yet? if not he should get SEIT and then in school what kind of class do they want to put him in?

Quoting Sheriff6:

Research diet for your son, many autistic kids have issues with foods that can contribute to behavior issues.

AideePoosMommy
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM

He has been in preschool since he was 3.  He wont eat soups and at one time he wasnt a meat eater but hes getting better with it.  But I have yet to get him to eat soup.  Also we cant put any kind of lotions on him (sunscreen, baby lotion, etc.)  And I have to request no bandaids when he gets shots.  But OT, PT, and speech is the only thing he is in right now.

Photobucket
ColleenMarie81
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM

you are doing everything you can at least that is my opinion

maybe start play thearpy or aba if your insurance covers it

take it day by day

AideePoosMommy
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM

ok what is play therapy and what is the ABA for?

kajira
by Emma on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there - First, let me say, It's okay to feel overwhelmed.

First, there's a reason he's screaming and melting down. I know having an autistic child can be overwhelming at times. He has a reason for most of his behaviors, even if it doesn't always look like it on the outside.

the meltdowns can be from routine changes, rule changes, not enough downtime between activities or when things change - getting frustrated because he can't effectively communicate what he's feeling or thinking, etc.

Figuring out some of the triggers, can help you reduce them. As they get older, they get more verbal and can understand easier, it gets easier to find ways to express themselves.

A lot ot imes, it can be hard for a kid to say "you changed the bathroom towel before I was ready" and can't figure out how to tell you that's what is upsetting them, so they just freak out.... 

It's a huge process to figure out how to address the meltdowns, but they generally have a reason, and if you can figure out the reason, you can often help redirect them, and talk to them about it.

We give our son tools to help with him getting frustrated, and freaked out. He's allowed to bury himself under pillows and hide in his box. We offer massages when he needs pressure to help calm down, and we over different things like spinning, dancing, and flapping for X period of time after stressful activities as a wind-down activity before we transition to the next thing.

We set timers, we communicate, we give warning before we change to the next activity. A lot of times, kids struggle to tell you that it's simple, every day changes that most people don't think about, that often overwhelm them.

Asking them to clean their room is a big task, break things down into baby steps. "Spread the blankets out on the bed, pick up all the dirty clothes and put them in the bin, the toys go here, etc etc etc" baby steps, breaking things down into simpe, less over whelming concepts really help too.

A lot of times vague concepts, seem unachievable, then little, tiny goals that are clearly broken down step by step too. 

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM

welcome to the group! after the diagnoses my son started ABA which teaches new skills, and works on behaviors.  Not eating soup isnt too bad, if he's eating everything else!  I don't eat soup either really LOL like once a year.  :D

Also I know some moms find the 100 Day tool kit from Autism Speaks to be helpful to read after getting a diagnoses. 

Aidensmomma508 ~ My Blog

Sheriff6
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM
They have been proven by 1000 of families, and I have seen where it could be as high as 70% of autistic children are affected by not digesting correctly. A big sign of this is how prickly our children can be. Yes it might be hard but if a child is affected negatively by what they eat I think it well worth the effort to get them on a better diet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)