Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Grieving the news since this Friday!!! please help me!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I knew about a year ago, something was wrong with my baby boy, but i kept thinking to myself" It's just me, i"m the one who's being paraniod. And so did family members. Now we have the final diagnosis of him being PDD/NOS on the spectrum of Autism.  On Friday Morning. My heart got ripped out of my chest!!!

It's been 4 days, and my eyes hurt from all the crying. My anger is towards everyone in my family, and i think i'm going a little crazy! How do i deal with this. I know i'm pushing every button starting today, with the support groups. But ladies, and friends, i need help NOW!!! I need to know how to deal with this properly.  I am one strong person, but right now i have no angels holding me up!

Today is  new day, a new week. I will be strong for my family, and not to try and think so negative. He will qualify for SSI and Medicaid, so that is wonderful. He just deserves a good life, and don't know if he will ever get it  with how severe it is. It breaks my heart to here all the stuff the doctor said, but it was like he knew him from the" T" for that i am grateful.Everything he said about colton was an open book!!

I'm just a mother doing the best she can, with the help out there given. Thank you for letting me VENT!!! i needed this. Today is a new day, a new week, and there is hope for my little man, i am just grieving, and it's sooooo god dammmm hard.....

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Replies (21-30):
AMom29
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM

We've all been there.  You need to allow yourself to grieve, because if you don't you won't be able to move forward.

There's no "right" way to do this; it is always uncharted territory.  You just have to navigate the best way you can.  {hugs}

leticiaterry
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Follow the links below, they really helped our family: http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits/100-day-kit
http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits/100-day-kit/ten-things-every-child-autism-wishes-you-knew
Don't worry everything is gonna be ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
james8mar
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:09 AM

THANK YOU TO EVERYONES SUPPORT AND LOVE! I GOT SO MANY EMAILS ADVICE, THAT I CAN'T POSSIBLY WRITE EVERYONE BACK. BUT THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! MUCH LOVE AND SUPPORT OUT TO ALL YOU WONDERFUL LADIES OUT HERE!  ROSE JAMESON

Mom2lnj
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
My heart is breaking for you right now. I remember the feelings all too well even though its been almost 3 years. You have the right to grieve but you're doing the right thing by reaching out for support. Reach out to everyone you can and learn as much as you. Knowledge is power. You'll know so much about Autism in the next year you'll deserve an honorary degree.

I know it's hard to believe but it does get better. I couldn't have dreamed my son would be where he is today. I sit back in amazement when I watch him now. Now instead of tears of sorrow, I cry tears of joy for the milestones he's reached. They will happen for you guys too. It may not be on your time table but it will happen, and when it does it will be such a celebration! When you have a child with autism there are no small accomplishments, everything is BIG!

Try to wake up each day and find something to be thankful for. When I feel myself slipping I try to remember it could always be worse, and it could be, so much worse. You've been entrusted to care for this angel because God knows you're strong enough. Hope it helps to know you're not alone.
melbell1984
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

BUMP!

cmsloco
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

been there mommy, it will be ok

Autiziumom
by Ana on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Wow! I'm so sorry for wat u r going through. Its been four years since our dx. First breath: now take it one day at a time. All will come in time. School will be first. Then therapies will start. But remember to not loss urself. As mom u matter so much and if ur not ok then he will not be ok. Just remember u were meant for this!
Keynotes
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Wow my heart goes out to you, I can say I honestly know the pain you are feeling. When I found out my son had been officially diagnosed with Autism I was a dum as a door knob. Seriously you would have thought I did not know and speculations weren't made before hand. I immediately jumped right into advocating for my son and getting him into services, in a sense this was a coping mechanism so that I did not have to feel the pain I stayed busy. I have my days when I am just so angry at how much my life has changed, how much of the lack of support I have, or how many accommodations I am forced to make bc of my sons condition. Nothing is easy and nothing is simple but GOD knew you were the only mom in this world that would be best for your child he knew that you could do the job he gave you this responsibility because he is that CONFIDENT you!! I'm not religious more spiritual but hang in there and use all the resources and support around you!!!!
ladycris55
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Its going to be okay. My son has been diagnosed with autism and I am just thankful he is not worse. There are kids out there that are much worse off then mine is and I try to focus on the positive. I feel that I am blessed for what he does do, although it hurts that he is behind. Just try to remember that it could always be much worse. I just pray that my son starts to talk one day, in the mean time I just try to appreciate what he does do and what he is learning daily.

autismmom13
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM
My son received the diagnosis on March 10, 2005. He is now 8 and reclassified as Aspergers. There is NO right way to handle this. Your feelings are completely normal. Just remember to breathe. Every child is different so I can only say what helped my son. My husband and I immediately researched and read everything we could find. For us the GF/CF diet made sense. Within two weeks we saw improvement. I was told my son would never speak, never be in a normal class, all the terrible things they try to prepare you for. With his early intervention and the diet he was talking (just a few words at first) within weeks. I can honestly and happily say he hasn't stopped since. He is in regular school and doing well. Is he typical no, but it makes him who he is. You will make it through this, you will find your strength. If you ever have questions I'm more than happy to answer them. GOOD LUCK, you'll do great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN