Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm really trying to pinpoint if giving your toddler the right doses for meletonin is helpful if he can't sleep?

I hear people use it all the time on there kids, and i want to know if this is okay for a child on the spectrum disorder?  i was told it only helps them calm down, after a sleepless day/night? what do you mothers do out thre for a child, on the spectrum that doesn't sleep well? thanks , and have great day!!!

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (31-36):
love_my_angels
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

me too 

love_my_angels
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

my son has asd and we give it to him every night recmended by his ped what a diffrence with out it he wouldnit go to bed untill 1 2am in the morning ill tell you one thing it helps him to fall asleep and stay asleep

aakeiser
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I know Dr. oz show last week caused a stir with this issue. My sister expected me to stop giving it my son..I asked her if she wanted to come over at 3 am every night to watch him for I could sleep.  I know my son's doctor said 1-3mg is enough don't go over that.  We are trying to cut down the use of it..

beans13
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM
My nephew takes it during the school year. He is 7. He would lay awake in his bed chatting to himself until 3 am otherwise. He takes it in juice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hmmedasst
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My sons nutritionist had me try it on him almost 3 years ago.  The correct dose should calm one down and be asleep with in 20-30 minutes.  His nutritionis had me start with .50mg and work him up to the correct dosage to get him to the 20-30 min.  He now takes 2mg each night and within 20-30 minutes he is asleep and will ususally sleep 9-10 hours a night.  I also give it to my daughter who is ADHD and it helps her also.  I am so happy that I tried this.  Before we used to spend 2-4 hours a night trying to get him to sleep.  Which meant less sleep for mom and dad too.  I have recomended it to a lot of people who have had the same sleeping issues.

You can find it at any store that sales vitamins.  I get mine from walgreens because they are one of the few places that sell the 1mg tablets.  Also melts easy in warm water to give with juice or milk.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I think you should be talking to your child's pediatrician instead of asking people that you don't know and possibly don't have a medical degree how to help your child.

Just my two cents. I understand that you are trying to get a feel for how many use that and all of that. To help you feel more comfortable or to find people out here that will understand what you are going through. But I would seriously ask your doctor about this. Some things help, and some things can hurt. Every child is different and will react differently to the medication. If your doctor and you feel that it would be good for your child then go for it. Trust your instincts on this. If something doesn't feel 'right' then question everyone until you feel comfortable. And don't question until you hear what you want to hear. But until you find out the truth. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)