Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
I am coming here in hopes my son will be put in the hearts of everyone who has a child on the spectrum. I lost my son, Desmond Thomas, 12, on Oct. 3,2012. He was hit by a car. Desmond was my most precious child, with autism. If you are a parent with one of these gifts from God, you know the wonderful work he has put before us. You know the struggle. Desmond was a runner, and Desmond ALWAYS seemed to have a place he wanted to be. As parents you spend your whole life tryin to watch every move they make, every step they take. But you know life doesn't make that a reality for a mom. I loved my son and oh how I miss him so. Autism has made me happy, and now it has made me sad. But this I know, my child was the purest thing on Earth and he was very happy. I hurt so much inside to know that there are still so many out there who don't know the highs and lows of autism, with their misconceptions and prejudgements. Knowledge is power. If you have a child with autism, if he's ever run off from you, you will understand my story. A tragic one it is. But I am hoping out of these ashes will rise a powerful phoenix, one raise awareness and spread the word that autism an unexplainable gift, and curse. Please love these "special angels", I beg you. Because I will forever love mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Replies (61-70):
amnicu02
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I am so sorry about your son. My son (4) is a runner too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Evy12
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm so sorry for your lost. I can't imagine the pain in your heart. My 2 1/2 baby girl loves to run and will not let me hold her hand. This is one of my worst fears.
isotoner
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I'm sorry to read about your loss.  My son with autism is 10.  He's not a runner, but he does wander.  He's so quiet that we're constantly checking on him.  My prayers are with you and your family.  Some people will never understand autism, but those that do are blessed. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

hugsim sorry

My heart goes out to you.

Silvia68
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Iam so sorry :-( for your lost and I do understand I also have a child with Autism and he is 10yrs old and he is also a runner and that is always my fear anyway I will keep you in my prayers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM

((hugs))

terri-553
by Terri on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Our thoughts/prayers are w/you/the family,No words are ever enough.And I don;t even pretend to understand your painhugs

Marcy_182
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Im so sorry for  your loss and Thanks for sharing your story. My son is a runner so im always struggling with the idea of something bad happening to him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, sweet Desmond and your family

mallowcup17
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

im so sorry for your loss ((hugs))

Grumpylilpixy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
There is a report in ABC news about autistic children bolting and it mentions a autistic.child who bolted and went on a Houston freeway and was.killed 2 days prior. Its about autistic children bring runners. Duh...... Smdh. I have known that fir years its the public who is.miss informed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)