Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
I am coming here in hopes my son will be put in the hearts of everyone who has a child on the spectrum. I lost my son, Desmond Thomas, 12, on Oct. 3,2012. He was hit by a car. Desmond was my most precious child, with autism. If you are a parent with one of these gifts from God, you know the wonderful work he has put before us. You know the struggle. Desmond was a runner, and Desmond ALWAYS seemed to have a place he wanted to be. As parents you spend your whole life tryin to watch every move they make, every step they take. But you know life doesn't make that a reality for a mom. I loved my son and oh how I miss him so. Autism has made me happy, and now it has made me sad. But this I know, my child was the purest thing on Earth and he was very happy. I hurt so much inside to know that there are still so many out there who don't know the highs and lows of autism, with their misconceptions and prejudgements. Knowledge is power. If you have a child with autism, if he's ever run off from you, you will understand my story. A tragic one it is. But I am hoping out of these ashes will rise a powerful phoenix, one raise awareness and spread the word that autism an unexplainable gift, and curse. Please love these "special angels", I beg you. Because I will forever love mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Replies (81-90):
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I have attempted to type something comforting to you several times now. I just end up crying and leaving the post. I have no words to express how sorry I am for your loss. This is one of my worst fears. I can only imagine the pain you are in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cubanmom84
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I take him to the park on the weekends but I am always a fee feet away, always, and he likes to wonder All over the park but am always with him!

Quoting tinatyty2011:

Yup, you are me. :) My DH would not like me keeping Dez cooped up in the house. But it eased my mind. He would take him to the park almost every weekend.

Quoting Cubanmom84:

I am very for your lose. I understand completely, mine seems to always want to be somewhere, sometimes I feel guilty because I don't give him enough room, or enough space to be himself, but I always tell myself that is better to be safe than sorry. People call me over protective, but no one understands like we do. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfgirlbec
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh sweetie,I am so,SO very,VERY sorry for your loss! He was a beautiful boy & I know it took a great deal of effort just to post this so soon after his passing.but i'm sure I speak for all of us here,when I say a heartfelt thank you for being so brave & kind to share your story with us.I'm sure it will definitely raise awareness & make us all hold our children-whether on the spectrum or NT's-a little closer.Again,my sincere condolences to you & your family.You are in my thoughts & I send you love & light...puppy

SpectrumMomma
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't imagine the pain you are feeling. I am praying for you and your family. What happened to your son has always been my greatest fear with mine also. You try and safeguard and watch them but we are only human and they are great escape artists. Take peace in knowing that nothing will ever hurt him again and he is free. I am so sorry for your loss but know that all parents of children with Autism are behind you on getting the word out on Autism the good and the bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whoodathunk
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  Thoughts and prayers reach out to you.  

LadyBreeze12
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, my...huge hugs, Tina, and prayers for you and your family.  I have a 12 year old son on the spectrum too.  Thank goodness he's not a runner, but a wanderer and I still worry about his "Let's cross the street right now" attitude when walking together. 

You are all in my thoughts, and Desmond  is  looking down on you. 

VeroKarr
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you mean when you say how wonderful autistic kids are. My daughter is 3 and a half and she's a blessing. She amazes me every day.

My prayers are with you, Desmond and your family. He's a beautiful angel looking after you. We're all one and he's one with you! All my love to you.

If you need somebody to talk to, I'm here for you!

char19
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family 

hopefulmom789
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am crying after reading this tragedy you have just suffered, and I know your pain is going to travel through alot of different paths.....my son  23 year old Matthew  died 1 year ago and i am not over it. Let yourself feel whatever you want.....process your pain however you must, and God Bless You!!!!!!

Meganh4133
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is also a runner and the thought of something like this happening to him upsets my stomach. It is a terrifying nightmare that we live with every day and I'm so sorry that the nightmare became a reality for you. You're family is in my thoughts.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN