Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dance lessons for toddlers?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm thinking about putting Aly into dance lessons next year. Have any of you put your toddlers into dance or another organized activity? What was the result?

Background: Aly loves to "dance" but she's all over the place. Whenever she's done, she bows and says, "Thank you, thank you! Thank you very much!" When the end of Despicable Me is on, she tries to mimic the ballet movements of the little girls, which is what makes me think she might do well in a dance class. 

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Blue231
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM
My adult cousin with ASD was in dance for many years. It was great for her as a child. She enjoyed it and it helped her coordination.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM
My daughter had been in dance since she turned 3. She loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BDSMI
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I had my son in gymnastics starting at a 2.  I see dance the same way it is good for them to socialize with their peer group, teaches them how to follow simple directions, is good excerise, and a chance for them to try a new activity.  When gymnastics was no longer fun for my son we dropped out and moved on. All you can do is to try it.

Kittie26
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

When there is music on the tv, Aly dances. When it's Despicable Me, she tries to mimic the ballet. You can't hear it here, but that's what she was doing. Normally she really gets down when the music gets faster, but she was too busy with her strawberries.

momtoscott
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

It won't cost much to put her in a dance class and see--most kids of that age are all over the place.  We didn't do dance (boy), but he did start karate at around age 5 and enjoyed it.  The training he got in martial arts for four or five years has made it easier for him to follow the marching band routines he is having to learn now in high school. 

I say go for it!

3mx2mom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Both of my boys took dance. They were older, but they enjoyed it, and they did quite well. They were 6 and 8. My autistic son was the only kid in the class that could remember all of the dance steps. He even reminded the teacher when she would forget. I say go for it. It can't hurt her.

Braydiesmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM
My daughter has been taking dancing for nine years. I think the key is finding that special teacher willing to work with your Childs special needs for example my daughters teacher sits with her and finds the perfect music that won't cause her to put her hands over her ears. My daughter did better being taught one on one so the teacher gave her private lessons for the price of reg lessons and performed a duet with her every year at the recital and always put her at the first of the show so there would not be a lot of waiting around. There are a lot of wonderful people out there willing to help in whatever way they can. Give it a try but remember she is young and even if it doesn't work out right now always try later as she matures, kids change so much from year to year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)