Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

what the heck!?!?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 26 Replies

While the pumpkin patch was fun we ended up running into some friends and they had their daughter who was 3 with them. We were paying for our pumpkins and i was letting nova play in the gravel, she was being good, wasnt trowing te gravel, just pouring it with her hands back onto the ground and since Nova has SPD she is just amazed by it, and their daughter joined in and suddenly her father freaked out which made their daughter start to cry, which prompted the comment, "Whenever she gets around her (my daughter being her), she acts like a freaking baby." yeah, that comment really hurt me ALOT :-/

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow sounds like that dad has some real  issues. I don't know many 3 year olds that wouldn't play with gravel. My daughter is 4 and still plays with the pea gravel in our front yard. I would tell good ole dad next time that it's called exploring through play. There is so much a child can learn through playing with gravel. Tell him they can learn to count, learn colors, figure out which ones weigh more, texture are just some examples.

KatyTylersMom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol I don't think my comment would have been anywhere near as nice... probably something along the lines of wow whenever you get around us you act like a total AHOLE" ...

unusualmom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

The child is 3 for goodness sake!!! Really!

Dissolutions
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

thats what i was thinking! i was like my god, heaven for bid a 3 year old play with some gravel....its not like they were throwing it at people they were just being kids. 

Paperfishies
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM
I would have said, "huh, and it has nothing to do with her father having toddler like temper tantrums, would it?" Followed by a big "fuck you, stupid prick" and me and my kid walking off.
Don't let people hurt you like that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gammaw129
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

It should hurt, because it was so unfair, uncalled for and just plain rude.  It was the father with the problem not the kids.  Anytme a child is "plaiyng" with a medium, in this case sand, they are learning, what it feels like, what it does, how they could possibly change it?   There are so many things to consider, the father was narrow-minded to think sand was sand and not a learning experience for his child.

Dissolutions
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

i woulda given him a big ole fuck you but there were so many other families with kiddos there i just sorta grabbed nova up as quickly as i could after DH paid for our pumpkins and we went and did they hayride but it deff sucked the fun outta stuff the rest of the day and i hate it. i shouldnt let people get to me, but ugh why is it so hard. 

Hilary799
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids: ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, and dd 5 play with our pea gravel. Sounds like the man is the 'child' in this case. I'd have told him where to go! Btw ds 13 is Autistic and his emotional level is 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gammaw129
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I raised two boys and they each played in the sand, at the beach, in their sandbox at home and any other place they encountered it, what is wrong with this guy?  He is denying his child one of the all time favorite experiences of childhood, playing in a sandbox, it bolsters creativity along with group play and a heap of learning without all the bells and whistles we are pressed to buy for our kids (in my case grandkids) today.

Dissolutions
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM

i mean obviously yes my kiddo is notorious for meltdowns and not communicating, hitting and what not but i mean really we only had like 2 meltdowns that only lasted a min each which for us i thought was pretty damn good. He acts like his child is so amazing. Yes she is a very smart little girl, and so polite, i would never ever put his kiddo down but since my kid isnt talking at 2 1/2 or singing her alphabet, or potty trained my kiddo gets looked down on. It's saddening to me. I am trying my dammdest to help her in every way i can and then i see her make improvements like saying colors, learning new words from her picture book, counting on her fingers, ect, it just doesnt matter becuase when my child melts down.....she melts downnnnnnn. So just becuase his kid has a tantrum when mines around its automatically my kids fault. i told my DH his friend can go and eff himself and that we wont be doing anymore playdates. This isnt the first time hes made a snarky comment. At nova's second bday bre was being shy and sorta hard to understand and there was a very loud "come on Breonna i can hear you any other time but because we are here you are talking like a baby" remark. i wont be subjecting nova to this and i feel really bad for his kiddo in situations like this too. ugh, sorry for being all rambly with this ladies, and thanks for the support. i just couldnt believe the nerve of him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)