Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

While the pumpkin patch was fun we ended up running into some friends and they had their daughter who was 3 with them. We were paying for our pumpkins and i was letting nova play in the gravel, she was being good, wasnt trowing te gravel, just pouring it with her hands back onto the ground and since Nova has SPD she is just amazed by it, and their daughter joined in and suddenly her father freaked out which made their daughter start to cry, which prompted the comment, "Whenever she gets around her (my daughter being her), she acts like a freaking baby." yeah, that comment really hurt me ALOT :-/

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
gammaw129
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Moms, I'm a grandmother of an Autistic child and want to believe I have a developed a better understanding of the human race over my 60 years, but I am still amazed at the stupidity  of some people.  I think a ton of bricks could knock some of these  folks into next year and they would still be  stupid.  So we have to agree, they will always be there, let's tell them in the most polite way we can,"you don't get it, you haven't been there and you need to shut up!"

skerst83
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Who needs enemies with "friends" like that? Some people don't understand and never will sadly....

Basherte
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I wish mine would play in gravel. or on grass or with snow.

I'm trying. He will now walk on grass with shoes on. He doesn't like the feel of the unlevel ground I'm thinking. Texture and things like that are very important to my son.

Quoting JTMOM422:

Wow sounds like that dad has some real  issues. I don't know many 3 year olds that wouldn't play with gravel. My daughter is 4 and still plays with the pea gravel in our front yard. I would tell good ole dad next time that it's called exploring through play. There is so much a child can learn through playing with gravel. Tell him they can learn to count, learn colors, figure out which ones weigh more, texture are just some examples.

VeroKarr
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Wow! That was rude! And he's your friend? I have a lot of things to say to him. Let's start by kids are kids, no matter what other conditions they might have. God bless him. He can't do better.

magickbaby
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM
What a freaking idiot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JKent958
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM

When my grandson was 4, before he was diagnosed, I took him to a preschool where the parents or grandparents stayed with the kids everyday.  He couldn't be trusted anyway.  So while other mothers talked, I shadowed my grandson.  He loved playing in the gravel.  He even liked the dust that he made while sweeping the gravel and I let him do it.  He was engaged in the activity and wasn't hurting anyone.  Well this other grandmother, who acted like a chicken hawk, told me she didn't think I should let him do it!  I told her, I think I will let him do it!  She went to complain about me to the director!  I have an ECE degree from community college so I thought I knew a bit more than that grandmother!  Grandma Judy

mamalena137
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I have an 8 year old nephew and he's not on the spectrum. He likes picking up rocks, we just have to remind him not to throw them. Every kid I know goes through that playing with rocks stage. Most kids still love playing in the dirt when their in elementary school. I can't believe that guy. It does sound like he's the kid.

Dissolutions
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

<3 mama's you seriously rock! <3333

kathrynmlise
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Wow. Jerk.

maribou
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That guy would be like that with any child.  

Don't let others be the dictator of our happiness ---- with our special kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)