Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! Introduce yourself here!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM
  • 308 Replies
9 moms liked this

This post has been locked.  Please join us here to introduce yourself: 
Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! Please introduce yourself... Get started here!

Thank you,

Cafe AmyS 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Replies (1-10):
gramma48
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Actually, I'm an autism grandma.  My younger son's four-year-old has just been diagnosed as low autistic by Cincinnati Children's Hospital.  She is the only child of my son and his wife, a naturalized African immigrant who is an honor student in Electrical Engineering, nearing her B.S. degree.  I need to not only cope with my own guilt and grief but also help my son, who wants no more than to hear his beautiful daughter say, "I love you, Daddy."  I don't know right now if she will ever be able to do this.  My granddaughter is in early childhood class for special needs students and I have seen improvement in her eye contact and social interaction areas.  I care for her three afternoons a week.  I am not unfamiliar with special needs children, having 20 years as an elementary school secretary in a building with 5 special needs classrooms.  But it is so different when the child is a loved one.  I gauge my care of her by "reading" what I see when I pick her up from school.  Some days I see tired and on those days we play quietly and I rock her and sing to her and she sleeps.  This can never be forced, as she does not resign to sleep easily at ANY time.  I need help with increasing her nearly nonexistent verbal skills.  I don't want her to "bark for a treat", but to know what she is saying.  I signed on to this site to get some practical advice.

BarrettsMom0729
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi! My name is Katie, I have an awesome son, Barrett that is 2 years old. We are waiting for our appointment with Texas Childrens for his actual diagnoses (but from what every special educations teacher and my son's doctor have said, he shows quite a few characteristics of autism). We have our son with our local ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) program right now, and I'm not real convinced its doing any good. We just resently started Barrett on the Gluten free diet to see if it makes any changes in him.

I'm still in the "this is too much to handle"/"what do I do?" stages of this, but I'm always here to lend an ear to other mommys :)

gordons79
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi I am Jennifer and I have a 11 year old son Jacob with Autism..We live in Michigan.I need some help teaching my husband Jacob step dad how to handle him my husband has been with Jacob sense he was 5. It just seem that they have been at each other lately.I need to teach my husband that less talking (if that makes sense) to Jacob will work better

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Welcome!  Have you tried sign language with her?  Some kids respond well to that.

Quoting gramma48:

Actually, I'm an autism grandma.  My younger son's four-year-old has just been diagnosed as low autistic by Cincinnati Children's Hospital.  She is the only child of my son and his wife, a naturalized African immigrant who is an honor student in Electrical Engineering, nearing her B.S. degree.  I need to not only cope with my own guilt and grief but also help my son, who wants no more than to hear his beautiful daughter say, "I love you, Daddy."  I don't know right now if she will ever be able to do this.  My granddaughter is in early childhood class for special needs students and I have seen improvement in her eye contact and social interaction areas.  I care for her three afternoons a week.  I am not unfamiliar with special needs children, having 20 years as an elementary school secretary in a building with 5 special needs classrooms.  But it is so different when the child is a loved one.  I gauge my care of her by "reading" what I see when I pick her up from school.  Some days I see tired and on those days we play quietly and I rock her and sing to her and she sleeps.  This can never be forced, as she does not resign to sleep easily at ANY time.  I need help with increasing her nearly nonexistent verbal skills.  I don't want her to "bark for a treat", but to know what she is saying.  I signed on to this site to get some practical advice.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Hi Katie, welcome to the group!  We're here to lend an ear as well, should you find yourself needing one.

Quoting BarrettsMom0729:

Hi! My name is Katie, I have an awesome son, Barrett that is 2 years old. We are waiting for our appointment with Texas Childrens for his actual diagnoses (but from what every special educations teacher and my son's doctor have said, he shows quite a few characteristics of autism). We have our son with our local ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) program right now, and I'm not real convinced its doing any good. We just resently started Barrett on the Gluten free diet to see if it makes any changes in him.

I'm still in the "this is too much to handle"/"what do I do?" stages of this, but I'm always here to lend an ear to other mommys :)

chellebelle04
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi I'm Michelle...I have 4 awesome kids...2 boys and twin girls...My younger son was recently diagnosed as having aspergers.  He also experiences anxiety along with his aspergers symptoms.  I am so glad I finally found a place of support, and where other moms understand this roller ooaster.  

Right now I am dealing with a lot of anxieties with my son due to a school change, and trying to work his aspergers diagnosis in his IEP at school.  I feel like I ruined his life when we moved and our district forced us to switch schools, I can't help but blame myself.  

Though I'm still learning all about what this means for my son, and our family...he's still the same boy...I am just in a different mind set as how I approach or respond to him.  And I am quickly learning that I will have to fight for my son everyday...the schools, the bullying, it's just all so unfair for him.  

I am not sure on how much advice I'll be able to give yet, but I'm here to lend and receive support :)

BarrettsMom0729
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thank you so much!

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Hi Michelle, welcome to the group!

Quoting chellebelle04:

Hi I'm Michelle...I have 4 awesome kids...2 boys and twin girls...My younger son was recently diagnosed as having aspergers.  He also experiences anxiety along with his aspergers symptoms.  I am so glad I finally found a place of support, and where other moms understand this roller ooaster.  

Right now I am dealing with a lot of anxieties with my son due to a school change, and trying to work his aspergers diagnosis in his IEP at school.  I feel like I ruined his life when we moved and our district forced us to switch schools, I can't help but blame myself.  

Though I'm still learning all about what this means for my son, and our family...he's still the same boy...I am just in a different mind set as how I approach or respond to him.  And I am quickly learning that I will have to fight for my son everyday...the schools, the bullying, it's just all so unfair for him.  

I am not sure on how much advice I'll be able to give yet, but I'm here to lend and receive support :)

tincher2004
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM
My 13 year old son was diagnosed as Asperger's in kindergarten. He is brilliant in math and science. He's a great kid but he's been getting in trouble at school lately and I came to this forum in search of advice from other parents who have been there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterfly2mom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Hello, My son James is 5 and is PDD, possible TBI, He is also ADHD and receives speech therapy and occupational therapy. We are new to the autism spectrum. My son has just been diagnosed  with PDD so I am supper confussed and do not know where to start. Any suggestions?

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)