Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Inconsistent testing results

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM
  • 2 Replies
I already told you the results of Maggie's ot eval. Well, today the school did their re-eval. It came out completely different. They're saying her biggest problem is her gross motor skills are severely delayed. We know this hasn't changed much and it is a problem. They said her fine motor was behind, but no too bad. I said her ot said she scored at 30 months. This lady, well call her M for short says that's not too bad. I says she was 4 in June. M says, well she's not where I would like to see a 4 year old but she's not the worst I've seen if that makes you feel better. Um, no, not really.
M said Maggie had gotten upset about something but m had asked her to calm down or she was going to call me and have me come get her. Took her 2.5 minutes to calm down, which is good. But she went on to say that shows good social skills. I'm sorry, how is that related? I told her that was a concern for us because she doesn't interact almost at all with other kids, including her brothers. I could see her response coming a mile away. BECAUSE SHES NEVER BEEN IN PRESCHOOL.
So, I'm learning that because we homeschool, we will never be taken seriously here. Apparently if you dont out your kid in daycare the minute you can your hurting their ability to develop social skillsIt really makes me angry.
So, from now on I'm doing private testing. I have to go thru the school for therapy and if she wasn't so delayed I would drop it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
BDSMI
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I am so sorry...I tried to go the same route you did..I got everything from ADHD to selective mtusim disorder (he just chose not to talk) I finally found a resource center and had him throughly evaluated...he had problems in all areas and FINALLY got the help we needed. I wish you the best luck.  I will tell you getting them privately tested wil take lots of patient and time.  It took us six mnoths to get an appt but don't give up....

arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM
She's only 4 so I'm not worried about how long it will take. I'm wanting to get a diagnosis so I can get state funding for her therapies and not have to go thru the school anymore.

Quoting BDSMI:

I am so sorry...I tried to go the same route you did..I got everything from ADHD to selective mtusim disorder (he just chose not to talk) I finally found a resource center and had him throughly evaluated...he had problems in all areas and FINALLY got the help we needed. I wish you the best luck.  I will tell you getting them privately tested wil take lots of patient and time.  It took us six mnoths to get an appt but don't give up....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)