Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Just put two and two together... "convulsionastes" = seizure

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

I had always been told, in spanish, that I "convulsione" when I was around 2 years old.

Because of a really high fever, docs said. I never really put any thought into it, and then I realized, that's seizure in spanish.

I'm starting to see more and more of the genetics behind my ds. My ADHD + my seizure + my husband's mother having schizophrenic disorder ...

Anybody else have this experience, of seeing more how the gene pieces fit together?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KatyTylersMom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

From what our son's doctor tells us you can add in depression, manic depression, schizophrenia, ADHD, autism, epilepsy, OCD, anxiety disorders, and then you'll have the TRUE spectrum of what autism is just a small (but important!) part. 

arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Huh. I didn't know that was related. I had seizures until about 2.5 and then they stopped. They were called febrile seizures because they didn't know what caused them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Huh. I didn't know that was related. I had seizures until about 2.5 and then they stopped. They were called febrile seizures because they didn't know what caused them

i think autism and seizures are genetically related, aren't they? Or can be?

Rachelle11503
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure...as a child I passed out a lot, I also spaced out to the point that I lost time and didn't know how long I was spacing. The doctors suspected epilepsy because my dad was epileptic..but the EEG's didn't show anything. I know that I have a lot sensory problems that started very early but never really looked into Autism. I do have ADD, and bipolar as well. My mother has schizo affective (schizo and mood disorder combined) My husband has some social issues that resemble Aspergers (intense obsessions about a couple of topics and always talks about them, trouble connecting with peers) but he doesn't seem to have Autism. So it almost looks like she took our genes with those issues and combined them into Autism..it is interesting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN