Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm a grndmother with a grandchild just diagnosed with PDD

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son and daughter in law just found out toda that my grandson has autism.  The doctor said has PDD I'm of course upset even though I did suspect this.

What can I do to hep without upsetting my son and his family?  I want to be involved and be of help

Please give me any advise

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM

It's hard to get a dx of PDD-NOS. I received mine for my 2 year old son back in July. It was heartbreaking. Even though I knew there was something wrong it was like being hit with a brick when the doctor said it. All I can say is be supportive with them. Give them time to digest the diagnosis and then ask what you can do to help. Read up on the diagnosis. The site Autism Speaks has a download for the first 100 days after diagnosis that might help you and your family.  If your grandson is under the age of 3 he can get some state assistance. We have a state therapist that comes to work with him. After the age of 3 he will be with the school system. Wish you the best of luck.

mendezliana
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Try to be as supportive as you can be and the true key is to always try to remain positive and know that over time he will get better. My daughter was diagnosed with PDD at the age of 2 and she is 3 going on 4 now. I been homeschooling her and she did receive the early intervention therapy through the state when she was 15mos old all the way till age 3. Now because of our dedication and our efforts to support her you would never know that my child has pdd. She has really made some great strides and alot has to do with her receiving the positive support that she needed and continues to receive from me and her dad along with family.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Welcome to the group!  I think being available to listen and support are the best things you can do.

Iksa
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I agree with everyone.  Being supportive is the best thing you can do.  When I got my son's diagnoses, it was a very stressful and emotional time for me, I'm pretty sure its a cultural thing, but in my experience I had my parents and in laws that came up with crazy conclusions as to why my son has pdd....That was the last thing I needed to hear.  Fortunately I don't hear the crazy "what if" anymore and my family loves my ds and they are very supportive and respect my wishes in how to help him. After diagnoses it takes time to get over the situaton, the next step is what can I do to help my grandchild.  Continue to be a loving grandmother and also do some research and help out anyway you can.  hugs

fromAutismwlove
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

My DD was diagnosed 10 years ago. Those first few months are very difficult because you are learning more and trying to set up therapies. What you don't realize is that after you have everything set up it can become exhausting keeping up with all the paperwork and appointments.

I would have loved to have support from family and friends. We had just moved to a new town and did not know anyone.

Show your support by listening but not taking things personal. Parenting a child with autism is stressful. Offer to babysit or watch your grandson while they catch up on paperwork, make appointments, going grocery shopping or just take a nap in the next room.

Encourage the parents to take care of themselves. You might need to suggest that they go take that nap or run through the shower. Suggest that they keep up date night or start date nights -- they need to be a team that loves each other to help their son.

Ask if you can run errands or pick up something from the store. Try to find an interest of yours that can help them. Cook -- why not make freezer meals? Garden -- why not help reduce their grocery bill? Sew -- make a weight vest or blanket? Just make sure that you come across as helpful --- not that you don't think they can handle their own family.

If they refuse help, just keep reminding them that you are there when they need you.

It will be a different road for your family BUT just remember it is not the end of the world.

isell_avon
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Welcome ! My 4yr old son has PDD. I hope you can get some advice in this group. I'm pretty new here myself.

autumn102756
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you everyone for your advise and help.  I am taking everything in and will do everything I can to be supportive of my son and daugther in law.  Once again thank you all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN