Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

autism and water

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM
  • 13 Replies

Has any other mom ran into this problem? My son loves showers after he gets home from school he wants a shower when hes in there he will also turn in the wate in the sick he will stay in there for a while too. hes like obsessed wiith it. also when im doing dishes hes right there. i also have had a problem with him dumping liquids. just asking if any other moms have had this problem.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Our 4year old loved the water when he was 3years old. When he turned 4he did not like the water for a bath anymore. He has his good bath day and other bath days he don't want to be in it. We keep our bathroom door shut.
Inglefay
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My son loves water too.  We try to let him have time to play with it and now he is in swimming lessons too.  I am just glad that he's not scared of it.  My little sister was and we had a hard time washing her hair for a while til she grew out of it.

char19
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Yes my son love water pipes watching he water run through them all the time...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakesMommy527
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

DS loves water. He pushes a chair up to the sink when I'm washing dishes and climbs up to play in the water. He also has no fear of water whatsoever so it's a little scary sometimes. He took off running to the deep end of the poot once...luckily I caught him before he jumped in. Looking into swimming lessons for him though.

Rachelle11503
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:19 PM

My daughter's therapist said that swimming and water are great for sensory processing. We have the opposite, mine is fearful. I remember when she was about 2 or 3 it was a battle royale to wash her hair...a nightmare. She's 8 and she just started to let water get on her face without freaking out. I have read in sensory books that a lot of kids are calmed by showers

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
does a fish live in water? thats my son part fish. Hed live in it if Id let him. he loves bubbles but hates being actually washed or to have his hair washed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

My brother takes 2 hour long showers.  Aspie ftw:)

love_my_angels
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:53 AM

That is my son too he would take showers all day if i let him my youngest too who is getting tested for autisam as well he crys when its time for bathtime to be over.

Quoting Jenn8604:

does a fish live in water? thats my son part fish. Hed live in it if Id let him. he loves bubbles but hates being actually washed or to have his hair washed.

isotoner
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM

My son loves water, but not to that extreme.  When he was younger, he would play in the sink at school, but not so much at home.  He loves to swim.  When he goes swimming, he's mostly under water. 

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Same thing here. My son also dumps out water and he will tell me, his animals need something to drink. Its probably sensory related. Baths and swimming in general instantly relax my little guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)