Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Has any other mom ran into this problem? My son loves showers after he gets home from school he wants a shower when hes in there he will also turn in the wate in the sick he will stay in there for a while too. hes like obsessed wiith it. also when im doing dishes hes right there. i also have had a problem with him dumping liquids. just asking if any other moms have had this problem.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (11-13):
Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

My husband......that is him.  So I let him wash the dishes....lol.  

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I have this experience, but for me, it hasn't been a problem.

Not saying that it can't be a problem, just in my case it hasn't been one.

Yeah, he LOVES baths and showers. He "helps" me do the dishes. I bought a water hose so that he can water the plants in the backyard (its mostly a deck). Fortunately, I can re-direct him when its time to finish that activity, but I know that's not common among ASD kids.

Is the problem transitioning him after doing the water activity or all the time obsession?

Mine has an obsession with phones which is a problem, because when in a non-preferred activity he starts making phone noises and zones the people and directions around him out. Sometimes I make the noises with him and once I get his attention, do something he likes, and then try to re-direct him again to the task at hand -- like in ST, OT, etc.

Hugs mom.

BrownMommy
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM

My daughter loves water. Fountains, the bath, shower, sink, toilet, and don't even get me started on the pool.

we have to avoid certain shopping malls because she has a breakdown if she can not get in the fountain

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN