Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Will he ever stop eating? It's constant!!!!

DS is 22m old and he out eats his 4yr old brother every meal. I usually give them the same amount (quantity for a 4yr old) and they both eat it all. People always comment on how much he eats because he'll eat a meal and want what everyone else has too. But his appetite has been growing even more lately... Tonight I made cheese burgers, salad, then strawberries and apples for dessert. He are his entire cheeseburger (1 filled me up) I gave him a few bites of my salad then he still wanted more so dh have him another half of a cheese burger which he finished off. He got down and started bringing me random food. A box of cereal, a box of pasta, things like that. He was begging for the food! 2hrs later we had the strawberries and apples and he ate half a box of strawberries by himself and half of an apple. He again got down but then kept bringing me food being again. I told him ”no more food, you've had enough.” And he screamed and screamed until bed time. I'm not really sure what to do... He's on iron drops because he's extremely anemic so he can't eat 2hrs before or after his medication. I'm not sure if the medication and huge gap in no food at all has triggered some kind of eating machine or what! He has alot of oral sensory stuff going on too, stuffing his mouth full, intentionally gagging himself, chewing on everything even himself... Is this extreme food eating another autism thing or something else I should be worried about? They have looked at his thyroid levels and they're not normal but their not abnormal enough for medication either... He's also not overweight, he's in the 75% for both weight and height so the Dr said he's but overweight just a big kid overall...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:23 AM
Replies (11-13):
shugerbit
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
My son will eat all day too. But in general he always wants something in his mouth. Is he always hungry or really wanna chew on something? I can give him a bowl of ice chips and he loves that. And tons of safe toys to chew on. He will eat tons of non- food items if I'm not paying attention. He has no problem eating paper, crayons, cotton swabs, blocks, my jewelry etc... So I would question if he is always mouthing things or really hungry.
aimeegreen4ever
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I never thought about it like that... Good suggestion! Going to have you try your suggestions!

Quoting shugerbit:

My son will eat all day too. But in general he always wants something in his mouth. Is he always hungry or really wanna chew on something? I can give him a bowl of ice chips and he loves that. And tons of safe toys to chew on. He will eat tons of non- food items if I'm not paying attention. He has no problem eating paper, crayons, cotton swabs, blocks, my jewelry etc... So I would question if he is always mouthing things or really hungry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BethBrubaker
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My son eats a lot too, and now he's 14 and taller than myn husband! I find that autictic kids tend to eat a lot more. There could be an issue with his fullness on/off switch (not knowing he's full until he's sick), but if he just wants to eat, I would suggest setting a limit so he DOESN'T get sick. And make sure that he eats a variety of foods too- my son used to eat apples, but because I didn't make it a regular part of the routine, he now refuses to eat any fruit and very little veggies. Make healthier foods available during the day- the hunger might just be a craving for vitamins!

My son is a big meat eater. I'm the one who is slightly anemic, but I have a feeling he needs the iron as much as I do. I also limit his helpings to two, and if he's hungry an hour and a half later, he can have a snack. This keeps him fro overdoing it, but satisfying the hunger for a time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN