Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

11 yr old boy with autism,fragile x, severe mental retardation and sib's

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

my, soon to be  step son, is very extreme on all spectrums of his multiple disabilities. he has extreme tantrums, he hurts hisself, busted mouth, almost always has black eyes, and he bites himself. we are having extreme problems taking him to the store, or just out of the house, transporting is the hardest, this month. he has been diagnosed with autism, fragile x, and severe mental retardation. i am so lost. please help me

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BDSMI
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Take a deep breath--((HUGS)) you are taking on a special needs child and for that it shows how much you truly love him.  You have multiple issues going on but remember deep down he is just a little boy who wants to be loved.  You have found a great group of parents who are going through a lot of the same situations.  My suggestion is take one behavior at a time and work on it.  Maybe wih all the changes going on he may not be able to verbalize how he is feeling.  I have a daily planner with pictures to show my child what his day is going to look like where we are going and who is going with us...cuts down on the aniexty level...

Momma2JandK
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Has he had an IEP in place? 

I would immediately reach out to your local developmental disability agency, or whatever they are called in your area.  Get as many supports as you can started...not only for him, but yourself as well. 

Hugssss  You might also try the 100 Day Kit from Autism Speaks.  Here is the link.  It gives some good information to go on and somewhere to start, which may be helpful right now.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits/100-day-kit

unusualmom
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:31 AM
My 9 year old son is very similar. You need to notice his cues. My sons always has some sort of cue something is coming. That way you can possibly interfere and give him a diversion. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lucky324
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Can you give some specific examples.  Though the cues and triggers may be different, it will help her know the types of things to watch for.

Quoting unusualmom:

My 9 year old son is very similar. You need to notice his cues. My sons always has some sort of cue something is coming. That way you can possibly interfere and give him a diversion. Good luck.

Lucky324
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Observe, observe, observe.  You will learn about your stepson, and things will start making sense.  This will help you figure out ways to respond to reduce the problems.  And as others have said, get support as soon as possible.   As you watch your stepson, notice what happens before meltdowns.   Something in the environment is causing him some distress - and he can't verbalize it.  The adults in his life need to help figure it out and help reduce the problems which will help reduce the problematic behavior.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM

hugsyou rock

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

hugs  Welcome to the group!

Sally_Nada
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM

To help your step son it's important that you try to understand the function behind his behavior, what is his behavior communicating. He might also be impacted by sensory processing disorder, he's over stimulated by his sensory environment, could be noise, could be lighting, could be number of people.  Anxiety is something else you should look at. 

Dr. Marcia Braden is an expert on autism and fragile X and I hope you'll find her resources page helpful, available at:  http://marciabraden.com/?page_id=104

FRAXA Research Foundation has a listserv, how to join is at: http://www.fraxa.org/joinourlistserve.aspx

The National Fragile X Foundation might be helpful as well: www.fragileX.org

An excellent facebook community, open to the public is the Autism Discussion Page, https://www.facebook.com/autismdiscussionpage?fref=ts I think it will help you determine what the behavior might be communicating, how to help him be more successful.  Keep in mind success doesn't just happen, you need to build slowly, for example, a short trip to the store, with no other added runs, short list, something that won't be overwhelming is where one would start, once you achieve success you build from there.  

Very active fragile X facebook group, closed group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FXFiles/

hugs, Sally

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN