Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

the power of advertising and subliminals on ASD kids

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

So ladies, I have noticed this trend in my child for a very long time and so I thought I would finally ask.  Does your child seem very fixed on commercials and their content?  Mason is too funny to me on this sometimes.  Like the fact that we had to have a pillow pet because he can take it to sleep over at g'mas house.  We had to have a dream light because it worked better than a traditional nightlight.  Mom needed these particular storage bins on the TV and we needed the lunch packs because they work just like a mini fridge to keep your food fresh all day long.  And the funniest one to me is that Kia math (the car commercial) is just all wrong.  Zero % interest + Zero down does not equal one.  (lol it is very true in this house but hey how does he know my credit sucks)  Needless to say one pillow pet, one dream light, no stuff for mom and no new car later, we now need stompies because they will keep his feet warm and a stuffie because of the pocket. 

So is this just a phenomenon in my household, or do you guys have similar stories?

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My brother would only watch commercials on TV. He wouldn't watch anything else. He is nonverbal so he couldn't ask for any of the things. His favorite commercial was the Snuggle one. My parents got him a Snuggle bear and he loved it.

My son isn't interested in commercials unless there is music involved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwifeandmom
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

My ASD husband was a marketing major in college -- and still falls for every commercial.  It's so funny.  When I point it out to him, he realizes he's getting sucked in to an ad, but he still does it.  My ASD kids are a little bit like that.  My NT daughter is worse than all of them (though she's also the youngest).  She's sure we need EVERY item she sees on EVERY commercial.

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Oct. 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We have that too - our OT thinks it is his form of Echolalia....He comes to me and "sells" me the ginsu knives because blah blah blah - word for word in the same tone as the sales person on the commercial.  

tictacmama
by Arlea on Oct. 20, 2012 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't watch a lot of tv (just DVD's and Netflix) with my 3yo son so he has never seen commercials. However when my nephew got Transfomers for his birthday I sang "Transformers, more than meets the eye" Now my son will sing it every time he sees a robot-like character. He also seems to know that comic book characters should have emphasis when they talk though he has only read them in books and played with the action figures. Yet he still has no interest in his 4-month-old brother. 

XSummersXmommyX
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter watches NickJr, and Disney Jr. SOMETIMES, but mostly i allow her dvds, and Netflix. But...when she DOES watch regular tv (usually cause her father or i maybe watching something)....she will STOP EVERYTHING and be fixated on the commercials, but ONLY CERTAIN ONES, and really.... they are NEVER toy commericals.

Summer (my dd) LOVES the 21st Cenetry car insurance commercials....

EMPIRE carpet commericals....PEP BOYS ..FARMERS insurance....and stuff like that!!!! Its kinda weird...the other day she asked her daddy if he had Farmers for our home!!! At first....he didn't understand wtf she meant...he was thinkin of "old mcDonald" type of farmers....and then when we were watching the local news channel she came RUNNING in and pointed at the FARMERS commercial and said "Farmers daddy!"...so yea...LOL

XSummersXmommyX
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

So, right after i posted to this thread i go into the the tv room to give my dd her OJ, and she's watching "Blues Clues" (she went thru a HUGE  BC faze when she was 1-2..but shes not AS into it..she watches it now and then) and that "PLAYSKOOL, Rocktivity commercial was on"....she looks at me and says.."Mommy! Im in love with a rockstar!!" I was like...wow ok, LOL...she seems to qoute the ODDEST parts of things. 

sls7170
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

My son would get up in the morning and instead of watching cartoons he would watch infomercials, lol.

My oldest son was the one that fell for advertizing though, insisting he 'needed' a "Lego Maniac" for Christmas, had to explain that a "Lego Maniac" is a child/person who LOVES Legos and therefore we could NOT buy one, lol.

drudia
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

yes at my house too.and they all seem to eat mcdonalds chicken nuggets my son and two other kids ive heard aspergers .

SeakingPeace
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Oh, gosh!  This is funny!  I remember when my  daughter was very insistent upon purchasing me a HAIRDINI for Christmas one year!  And the "easy strainer", too!  I think they like the repition of the commercials.  I think they find comfort in seeing the same thing over and over again.  My daugther was hooked on the Sham Wow, Ginsu knives, etc., And now that she's older, she has every single one of those FREE CREDIT dot com JINGLES down to the last word!  Ah!  It keeps us smiling, though!  And oh!  I forgot to comment, too.  She wants those stinkin' STOMPIES now, too!  LOL

deadlights86
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM
My ds isn't fixed so much but he has a very good memory he can remember exact product names and will correct me if I don't say the full name of things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)