Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you use Social Stories? Visual Schedules?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

Proactive parenting?

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

I've been taking a workshop series called "raising your challenging child" and it has been LIFE CHANGING!

I also went to a social stories workshop provided by the school district. AWESOME.

I'm just learning about all these things. Wondering if any of you ladies have learned about this stuff too?

As a caveat though, I will say that my son probably doesn't have autism after all. Now I'm leaning more toward just ADHD but can't confirm without meds yet. Will keep you posted :)

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asmithberger
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck. We are trying social stories about putting things in his mouth (sensory issues). He likes the stories and pictures.  And we do have a visual aide calendar. With the days and on each day we put a pictue of like my scrubs because mommy works and a stethascope for a drs appt. and a picture of school on the days he has therapy (its held at the school he will go to). things like that. It helps him know what is coming next!

jthompson1976
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

i havent heard about them. id love to hear more

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been using visual schedules for myself since my son was born.  They keep me in schedule of each days meal, activities,etc.

asmithberger
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the visual aides. It helps my son know what is to come and he loves knowing and routines are so important to him. They honestly make our day and weeks run so much smoother. I make my own. i buy the sheets of lamination and he helps me Velcro things to the calendar. and dry erase helps too!

unusualmom
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Social stories dont work for my children.  They just dont get it...and they are 9 and 11.  Visual cues work with my oldest.  But my 2nd son doesnt give a crap - he does what he wants.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Quoting unusualmom:

Social stories dont work for my children.  They just dont get it...and they are 9 and 11.  Visual cues work with my oldest.  But my 2nd son doesnt give a crap - he does what he wants.

:(

by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I want to use them with my daughters, but i dont know how to make them (social stories).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I do use a visual schedule & social stories a lot of them I turn into puppet shows my son really seems to listen better that way. I also took a workshop last yr on writing my own.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 03071012:

I want to use them with my daughters, but i dont know how to make them (social stories).

I'm still trying to write my own. I must have a hang up about it... but when I finish it, I'll email it to you :) Or post it here :)

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

i do use these

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN