Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Any suggestions on how to help my son?

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM
  • 8 Replies
My son has asbergers and has been taking medication, stratra for 2 yrs, it has started to be ineffective for his behaviors and I am considering changing or even taking him off. He was doing good at another local school that he attended for 2 yrs, due to us moving I changed schools so he could be closer to home and make friends that lived in our neighborhood. Since going to this school my son has started miss behaving, shutting down, lying constantly and refusing to coop at school. His teachers are really hard on him and expect him to do as all the other kids are doing, but he can't. When he sees at math sheet with 20 problems on it he freaks out( even if he gets and can do the math work asked of him). He can do everything asked of him, probably better than most kids I his class, but for some reason he won't. School keeps calling me and telling me he is having issues, I don't know how to help them because he doesn't do those things for me!!!! Any suggestions, ai am desperate to help my son and I just don't know how!
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TXCatLady
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I would see if accommodations could be made of some sort. My kid is only 4 and in prek3 (he just turned 4) this year at a daycare/preschool. He has a late b-day but we already know that the school district here is limited and they keep cramming kids into the class. He does better in a smaller class so when he goes to kindergarten and even prek4 we plan to send him to a private school. Maybe seeing if he can be put in the smallest class would help.

Adjustments can be very hard on Aspie kids and I know my son had a hard time adjusting this year to a new teacher. He still does not like her but I talk with him on a regular basis as best as he can understand. So, maybe taking with your son about what he likes and does not like about school might give you some insights as well with regards to what is going on in school. Also, if you have the time maybe you could go observe for a few hours.

I doubt I was much help and I am hopefully others with older kids will respond...hang in there. I know it has to be hard.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Welcome to the group. 

Is the stratara for aspberger's or ADHD (I ask because my daughter took it for ADHD but it caused depression so we stopped it).

itsblissmas
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not really sure but I wanted to send hugs your way and wish you the best of luck with this.

cindyjean68
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he have an IEP? If not I would press for them to get him one. My son is in 1st grade and he gets modified testing so that it does not overwhelm him.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask him what is bothering him, and if he won't tell you, get someone else he trusts to ask. I'm not a fan of medications, I imagine it must feel strange to kids to have their minds altered. Maybe he's ready to go off of it? Sounds like he needs a new teacher. Set up a meeting with the teachers, talk about how you're feeling and come up with some strategies together. 

unusualmom
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, my son freaks too when he sees a sheet full of math and he is great at math. Its all so overwhelming! Goodness, I have to do all these problems!! Since hes good at math can you see if the teacher would be fine with him doing a few of each problems just to show he knows his math. My son only does 1 or 2 of each set of math problems to show he knows it. Also, see if he can get a crisis. That way he can use it 1x in the morning and 1x in the afternoon. He can go to a quiet room for 5-10 minutes to calm himself and get readjusted. They never did this with my son and I think they should have. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tlofgren
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am meeting with his teacher and sp Ed coordinator tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can work something out! With the "safe place ", we have been doing that In the past, but he didn't use it once last year and he stayed in the general Ed. For the full day, this year is like a relapse to 2 years ago. I will Try these suggestions and am so grateful to find other about there that have similar issues, thank you for the support!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tlofgren
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Startra is for ADHD, he has asburgers with ADHD, my friend has a kiddo with asburgers with anxiety. My dr informs me that it is very common the autistic kids usually have more than one thing, not usually just autism. It took me a long time to agree to put him meds but when I did it helped. It deals wih the focus issues ( or was doing better at helping), and it only left the social issues. My son is amazingly brilliant at manipulating feelings. He has a nack for knowing what will let him get away with things... Example: my second wk wih Jim at this school, I get a call from the teacher saying my son was sent to the guidance counselor to "cool" down and he told the counselor that he had a hard day, that I work from 4 am until 6pm an he has to get himself and his 4 yr old brother ready for school and walk to school alone an his brother is home alone waiting for him now. Then he continued to tell them that on his way to school that morning our dog ha been hit by a car and was dead and he didn't have time to bury her because he would be late. The counselor thankfully realized that he was new at the school and didn't just take his word for it he told he teacher an he said my son was trying to pull one over and called me. I was at the school in 10 minutes. When I was talking to my kiddo about why he said that he responded I didn't have my work done that the teacher wanted. This stint got him out of the class and got him a buddy on hi side. I then had to explain to him that saying things like he did would mean that he got taken away from me and would never see his mom or dad again and that they would possibly find him a new family, he then started to cry and say he was sorry! My heart hurt for him, he has no idea the consequences! Of course the counselor wants to talk and I had to break my son down for him and that he has asburgers and we worked things out and as I was leaving he apologized for the loss of our dog! I laughed and said, she's not dead, he looked me dead UN the face an said wow, I even told him the story of how my dog died and gave him my lunch so he could eat and feel better!!!! Not only did he have the school fooled, but he ate the teachers lunch!!!!!! No guilt, no concern of what would happen, everything was fine to my son!!!! Help!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)