Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm afraid he's going to kill the kitten!

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 3 and has Autism. I recently rescued a kitten whose mother was hit by a car. She was 2 weeks old when I saved her and now she is 5 weeks and is roaming around the house. My son really does seem to like her but he has been acting mean to her. He picks her up by the neck, steps on her, and just this morning he tried to drown her in the dog water bowl!

All of this happens when I am close by as I never leave them alone together. When he tried to drown her I was in the bathroom less that 15 feet away! I have tried explaining to him that she is a baby and he needs to be gentel,I don't think he knows he's hurting her even though I tell him he is! But he laughs when he's doing this stuff to her and gets mad at me when I correct him.

Most of the time I only have to tell him something (and follow it up with standing in the corner) once or twice. But this has been going on for a few days and EVERY time he gets a chance he does this! I would just find the kitten a new home, but I have two girls who adore the kitten and they have to give up so much for their brother, I don't want them to have to give this up too!

Any ideas would be helpful!

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM
We had to keep our kittens in the bedroom away from our son for the first 6 mths for that exact reason.
JKent958
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest finding a new home for the kitten.  My grandson threw his puppy off the balcony and broke the puppy's leg.  He did that because the pup would jump on him and scratch him and bite him.  My grandson was about 4 when he did this but he doesn't have empathy for anything or anyone.  I still feel guilty because the veterinarian office called me and asked me to convince my daughter to give the dog away.  That poor puppy had a cast on his leg when my daughter ran over it and killed it.  I told her many times not to let the dog run loose because it would chase cars and even though they lived in the country, it could be in the driveway and get hit.  Don't trust your son and find it a new home.  Grandma Judy

kinshipcaremama
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I think you should probably find the kitty a new home.  Your son doesn't understand what he is doing but the kitten doesn't know that.  If he keeps hurting her she is going to start fighting back.  You don't want to have a mean kitty on your hands for the next 10-15 years!

KatyTylersMom
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM
I'd either keep the kitten somewhere your son cannot get to for the next 6 months until the kitten is big enough and old enough to get away or defend itself, or place it in another home.
terri-553
by Terri on Oct. 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I agree it most likey best for the liltte kitty to have a new home.Unless someone is willing to sit w/it while your son is playing w/it.This is hard I know,My girls van get away from my Grandson,Thomas.or nip whatever he choses

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN