Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Rituals

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM
  • 4 Replies
Hi has anyone experienced their young person going through various rituals after a long period (18 months to 2 years) of not doing so? This has happened in Glen's case. He has gone through so much trauma lately: having an operation on his eye to reattach his retina, then moving care homes and then having an examination on his eye to check its recovering ok and then having to attend the 'yearly prom' which just isn't for him! Loud music, a lot of people etc. Anyway he came home this weekend and was carrying out so many rituals that I hadn't seen in ages.

Touching/stroking door handles over and over, walking slowly and in a certain way through door ways, stroking his clothes when taking them off making sure they are neatly placed, stroking towels numerous times, staring at all the lights (when on) in the house, these kind of things. Glen also hit himself quite a few times, on 2 occasions it was in front of his brother and sister, and it really upset his sister.

To me it looks like after what Glen's been through lately, doing these rituals are his way of trying to cope with what's happened to him, do you think I'm right? Also I think he is feeling quite low in himself and maybe feeling a little depressed? He ate extremely well this weekend, but I know prior to coming home he had 'gone off his food' which is not like Glen, he only goes off his food when he is feeling low or unwell. I feel he is not in a good place withing himself at the moment and this makes me feel very sad.

I would welcome your thoughts on this please, thank you. I am going to call the home manager this manager to raise my concerns with him.
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Basherte
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Love him.

I think you are right. It's his way of coping. That is basically what all of the stuff that our kids do is for. It's a coping mechanism designed to help them get through their day.

I haven't had to deal with my son not doing things and then suddenly doing them again. Good luck.

Jeanne61
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Hi thanks for your reply. Yes I guess it is Glen's way of coping, getting him through the day as you said. I spoke to the care home manager this morning and he said Glen has been doing the same and other rituals at the care home that he was doing here over the weekend.
laditz89
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, from my personal experience, when my routines have to change, I struggle greatly. My stimming gets worse mostly because my brain is having to work harder to proocess everything going on. I fall back on some of my OCD tendencies because it's something "normal"  to me in a situation that isn't at all normal. I think once your son's routine gets back on track (it can take me weeks to fall back into old routines and not feel overwhelmed) the rituals and overwhelmed stimming will start to go away again. 

Jeanne61
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Hi thanks so much for your reply. I guess it will take time like you've said. I do hope my son settles down ok he has been through a lot of trauma of late. I do feel for him I really do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN