Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New here

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello, I am new here and my son is technically undiagnosed, but we are completely for sure it is aspergers. It's been a year on our journey to finding out what is going on with my now 6 y/o son. It got to the point where we were fearing for our and his safety and I knew there was something not quite right... But was very frustrated b/c I couldn't figure it out. Against most every one's advice (and approval) I made the choice to send him to live in a theraputic foster care home. I struggled with that decision for over a month, but I knew I made the right choice. We were getting no where and he was only getting worse and all I knew was "normal" parenting/dicipline techniques. It wasn't just his raging anger and fits and increasing "sociopathic" violence that was concerning, it was all of his social skills and I noticed it when he was a baby... I knew (mother's institution?) there was something not right. 

Well, long story shorter, we have gone through a lot. Ash has been a trooper and has gotten quite used to dr appts and therapies. He is on methanphedate, risperdal, guanfacine and a couple of allergy meds to help him with his behavior. He also has sleep apnea and is allergic to "everything". Last month, we has his tonsils and adenoids removed to help his with his sleep and hopefully with behavior. 

For a while, he seemed to have all symptoms of quite a few things including schitzophrenia. I am glad we have finally found an answer and over all, he has made quite an improvement. In school, he is getting better scores (he is in a behavior class) and hasn't been hitting or kicking other students or the teacher as much. He is also ODD and ADHD. 

As of now, he is still with his foster teacher. B/c he was such a special case, we were granted more time and she has been a life saver. I don't know where we'd be with out his foster teacher. Ash comes home on weekends and has improved at home as well and with his little brother. I am more than ready to have him back home full time. I feel confident that I can handle him much better with the tools I have gained from his foster teacher and therapist. I can't thank them enough. My parents have even begun to understand why we made the decision we did and are very supportive. We call and talk to her and him most every night and get updated on his day at school. His foster teacher is also very happy with his support system he has. Me, my DH and my parents. He knows he is very much loved and missed at home. 

We are very close to having him home for good sometime soon, next month or so. And I wonder about other parents and their Aspie children. Ash is a very smart and loveable little boy and I am so glad things have become a lot easier for him and the rest of our family now that we understand better what is going on in his mind. I was so scared that he would think we didn't want him anymore, but surprisingly, he was really understanding and accepts that I couldn't give him the help he needed at the time. It's so weird, he can't understand what's going on when someone is upset or if he has hurt someone, but he can understand more complicated things....

We love our little guy so much and only want him to have as normal of a life as possible. I am also concerned about he will react when he has to start a new school when he comes home. He dosnt do change well at all. 

Thank you for any words of advice or encouragement. I am still nervous and scared, eventhough I do feel confident I won't go completely crazy with him at home. ..... It's a hard emotion to explain. 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!

rocky_mtn_mama
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  It sounds like you have a very special young man in Ash and that things will be vastly improved when he does come home.  I'm glad you have so much support and help!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)