Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Nightmares

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

So last night Zach had a pretty bad nightmare. He only got four hours of sleep as a result so I'm trying to get him to bed a little earlier. Unfortunately he's gone full melt-down because he's so terrified to sleep. He refused to nap at all today or even lie down. He's been upset all day except when we went for a walk. I've tried comforting him, I've tried bribing him, I've tried sitting in a rocking chair with him but he just won't calm down. He just keeps trying to put his coat on and go outside and he gets pissed when I say no. It's not safe to be outside at night because people come flying around the blind corner right outside our door at 40-50 MPH. I wish I could make it better somehow. He's never been like this before.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
blessedhappymom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM
I'm sorry to about this. My son has never expressed anything about dreams or nightmares. Hugs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Poor little guy.  Would he relax if you let him sleep with you? Or maybe put on some relaxing music? My son has a small dream catcher that he believes protects him, and maybe it really does.  Do you have any books on nightmares? My son loved the book, Just a Bad Dream, I think it is called, from the Little Critters series.  He had bad dreams occasionally when he was younger (he is eight now) so I found a bunch of books on bad dreams and that was his favorite and he could relate to it.  Is your son able to tell you about the dream or maybe draw pictures about it so you have some idea what it was that upset him so?

Good luck, and sweet dreams to you all.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

My son went through this, terrible fear of dreaming scary things when he was about 5 (he is now 8 and completely fine about sleep.) I found that talking about the actual dream, what happened, what was so scary about it, why he thinks he is dreaming about these things help so very much. Don't know how old your son is but even little ones can talk about their feelings. Good news for you is it will get better but it is scary and upsetting. Try doing something to completely change is bedtime routine too, something that is extra special or fun...a little hot chocolate goes a long way at our house and it helps them sleep too as long as there isn't too much chocolate... good luck, sorry you are going through this.   xo

mcclanto
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Each of our kids have a dream catcher.  Love them!  

Basherte
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Johnson's has a bedtime bath. I know it won't help for this episode if you don't already have some. It helps my little guy wind down right before bedtime when he has troubles calming down on his own enough to go to sleep.

It's not just for bedtime either, it can be used right before a nap as well. It has chamomile in it. It's the aroma that helps soothe. 

Good luck Momma.

I haven't really had issues with my son going down for a nap or bedtime, I have had issues with him getting up in the middle of the night crying and screaming from a nightmare. At that point I don't really wanna let him leave his room, to take a bath in hopes that it will help him get back to sleep. He's a lot like me when it comes to that sort of thing, and that would totally wake me up. 

proudofwyatt
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM

is he able to tell you what the nighmare was about? maybe talking about it will help, or maybe you can turn it around so that it's not so scary? idk...  good luck tho  ((HUGS))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)