Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

eating difficulties

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM
  • 26 Replies

well for the past week jude has barely eaten. its getting really bad tonight we let him eat cherrios for dinner and after one bite we spent 20 minutes just begging him to swallow and he was having so much trouble trying not to gag. he needs to eat, i originally thought it may have been due to more regression in using utensils so we have started feeding him agian but obviously thats not it. he has only gained 3lbs this past year, and he has grown 5 or 6 inches this year. =( 3 inches in the past 6 months. i just dont know what to do anymore. Im taking him back to his pediatrician, and getting back on wic. I didnt want to put him back on pediasure because last time he stopped eating completely. im just at a loss. He also needs to be tested for sleep apnea. Why does so much have to be going on with my precious little man. his autism is getting worse, hes been regressing very slowly for the past month, and now all this. i just dont know what to do anymore. My heart is breaking so bad.

http://raisingjudeharold.blogspot.com/

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marisab
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM

johny is the same way and i am not sure what to do 

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Quoting marisab:

johny is the same way and i am not sure what to do 

same way with eating or in general? how old is he?

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Usually if my kids stop eating it's because they don't feel good - either their belly hurts or throat is sore. 

blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:34 AM
My sons OT asked if my son had any issues with eating. She said often times certain textures of foods are not tolerated well because of sensory issues often associated with autism.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gbtino
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:06 AM

have you tried a feeding clinic? or help of a speech therapsit/OT? that is their job to help with feeding issues

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Usually if my kids stop eating it's because they don't feel good - either their belly hurts or throat is sore. 

he seems to be feeling fine, he does this every now and then, but last time he did this he had to go on pediasure and stopped eating completely. 

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Quoting blessedhappymom:

My sons OT asked if my son had any issues with eating. She said often times certain textures of foods are not tolerated well because of sensory issues often associated with autism.

he does have alot of food related sensory issues, but these are foods he loves that hes refusing. like last night he asked for cherrios, and we had the hardest time getting him to swallow one bite.

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Quoting gbtino:

have you tried a feeding clinic? or help of a speech therapsit/OT? that is their job to help with feeding issues

his therapist has been working on his eating issues for months with no sucess yet, my concern is the foods he likes he wont even eat right now, and the fact that im having to feed him agian is just very sad, hes 2 and a half years old and has been feeding himself for well over a year. 

Kellbel08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Does he have any favorite foods? my daughter is a very picky eater as well. She basically eats the same food favorite foods everyday or we like to switch it up to ever other day. She is not big on tryin new foods. Two weeks ago she ate pb&j for the first time in school. ate 2/4 of a sandwich and seemed to enjoy it. We try it at home n she won't go near it. We also give her a pediarue a day. half pediasure n milk in the am and half pedi and milk after dinner.  To help subsitute what nurtitions she is lacking.  Before she started eating better i would make her a meal and feed it to her throughout a certain time period. instead of sitting down at the table and having her eat it right then and there i would make it and let her do her thing and remind her a now and again Ari take a bite to eat please. (she's not one to sit still at a dinner table lol) and eventually she caught on to sitting for at least 10 min to get some food in her.  Definitly talk to his pediatrcian and my daughters wic nurtitionist also helped us help her. His O.T. theropist should really help with his eating habits too.. My daughter o.t gave us some great pointers on how to make food fun. Esp with her having Sensory issues. Instead of making funny faces with food and decorating it all crazy. i would like  take a piece of a hot fod and put it on my nose n let it  roll into my mouth (silly i know lol) but now my daughter eats hot dogs and has fun while she does it.  

jb022210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

hes very picky but thats not the probem , he wont even eat his favorites, like he loves cereal (cherrios) and thats what we couldnt even get him to swallow one bite of last night

Quoting Kellbel08:

Does he have any favorite foods? my daughter is a very picky eater as well. She basically eats the same food favorite foods everyday or we like to switch it up to ever other day. She is not big on tryin new foods. Two weeks ago she ate pb&j for the first time in school. ate 2/4 of a sandwich and seemed to enjoy it. We try it at home n she won't go near it. We also give her a pediarue a day. half pediasure n milk in the am and half pedi and milk after dinner.  To help subsitute what nurtitions she is lacking.  Before she started eating better i would make her a meal and feed it to her throughout a certain time period. instead of sitting down at the table and having her eat it right then and there i would make it and let her do her thing and remind her a now and again Ari take a bite to eat please. (she's not one to sit still at a dinner table lol) and eventually she caught on to sitting for at least 10 min to get some food in her.  Definitly talk to his pediatrcian and my daughters wic nurtitionist also helped us help her. His O.T. theropist should really help with his eating habits too.. My daughter o.t gave us some great pointers on how to make food fun. Esp with her having Sensory issues. Instead of making funny faces with food and decorating it all crazy. i would like  take a piece of a hot fod and put it on my nose n let it  roll into my mouth (silly i know lol) but now my daughter eats hot dogs and has fun while she does it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)